IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IO Defrag will remove restore points in Vista

About a month ago I went to reverse some changes I had made, and discovered that I only had 3 days of restore points. I knew that I had over 6 months worth, and plenty of drive space for them. So I watched it closely for a few days but it still happened. Frustrated, I selectively stopped services, uninstalled programs, and so on. It wasn't until yesterday that I stumbled across a couple of items including a MS support page that indicated some utilities that modify the partition without going through the OS will cause this to happen (or worse).

So, I created several restore points over 2 days, then ran a full defrag w/optimization. Bingo - no more restore points.

So no more IOBit Smart Defrag until this is fixed, at least for me.

Also: this affects MS Server 2003/8 as well.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=932790&sd=RMVP

and: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html

This is rather disturbing since I found another post in this forum complaining about the same thing a year ago...

Try it & let me know

All I know is what I read and infered from those articles (there are more) plus what I saw in testing on my system. If you have vista, try doing a full defrag & optimization and let me know if it affected your restore points. I'd sincerely be interested in what you find.

From my understanding it isn't so much whether or not changes to the file system are done prior to boot or after, it's what is done and how. For example, if you boot with a Windows XP PE disk or dual boot, it does the same thing. Vista sees changes it didn't make and resets the restore points.

• 2 weeks later...

Large System Volume Data Size

Not sure if this is related but my system started having problems shortly after running and I discovered that my System Volume Information file size had grwn to over 64 Gigabyes....It is normally only supposed to be approx 15% f a volume (Disk) in use.....

I had to disable and reenable System Restore to erase the file, and resume normal operation.

Something still fishy here....

Archived