IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Question concernig Network Optimization

nittuo

So while trying to squeeze every last bit of performance from my aging machine, I noticed (or failed to realize) a setting I should be able to make.

The Choices Given for Network Optimization are:

Basic {Please Define Basic for us slow folks}

DSL {Tried it years ago, sorry no... and it doesn’t apply to me}

LAN {Nope nor this, and now aren't most of us with more than one computing... er or entertainment device generally part of a Local Area Network?}

Dial-UP Modem {Not for over 25 years, thank god, though I sometimes miss that magical handshaking serenade from back then}

FIOS {Don't really think its available at my location, we being backwards Southerners in less affluential locales... That’s US Southerners beyond the Mason Dixion}

Wireless {um....no, not till wireless can equal, no surpass modern line systems}

So my question is this. What about if you use a cable modem or a MOCA system? I may just have looked at the information and it didn't register, but I honestly can't seem to locate a reference to it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi nittuo, welcome to IObit Forum! :-)

If you can supply us some info about your connection to Internet, such as the download and upload speeds that ISP has given, and what kind of modem you are using, it will be helpful to help you.

Looking at your Public profile and your question, it seems that DSL choice is the one which would most suit you, as DSL option includes connect to internet with ADSL/SDSL, Cable Modem or Sattelite Link.

Well, MoCa (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) 1.1 or 2.0 usage (with 400 Mbit/s and 800 Mbit/s ) is not defined, but I would use FIOS for that being as close as possible. ;-)

Cheers.

Alrighty then, Info bout network hardware is as follows:

Modem: Technicolor TC8305C

Network Card: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

Cat-5 from modem to system, Cable from modem to exterior.

Speed test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3774459051.png

The MoCa question doesn't apply to my main system, but to another in the home we may be putting this product on.

Faster than 66% of US users? This is serious, you are very slow nittuo. ;-) :-):-):-)

I would use DSL, but Verison FIOS starting with 25 Mb/s, I would also try FIOS connection and see which one gives a better result for you. Anyway, W7 and W8 (8.1) self adjust them better than the older Windows, but I would also try TCP Optimizer v3.0.8 (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php) and read THIS about Windows 7, Vista, 2008 Tweaks for your Windows7. I used to use the tweaks on my W7, but I don't use the tweaks now on my W 8.1 Pro any more.

At your speeds, I don't think it will matter much whichever you use, I suppose! 8:)

Cheers.

Domo enskype, I'll spend tonight reading the linked info and experiment with the other then (as apposed to my standard method of diving in then learning to swim).

But in all honesty, my machines getting a shade long in the tooth and I don't see any replacement or upgrades anytime in the near or even middle future. So I'm gonna milk 'er for all I can till she just straight out melts down on me. For example, 3 months back lost a 500GB drive that I still haven't replaced. I'm just lucky I've always overbuilt my rigs.

Thanks again.

(Oh to be of those lofty 34%, sniffle)

OK nittuo,

Just a note for your data cable for information and future use of MoCa.

Cat5: A Little Older, A Little Slower

Category 5 cabling, also known as Cat5, is an older type of network cabling. Cat5 cables were made to support theoretical speeds of 10Mbps and 100Mbps. You may be able to get gigabit speeds on a Cat5 cable, particularly if the cable is shorter, but it isn’t always guaranteed.

Since Cat5 is an older type of cabling, you probably won’t see them very much in the store, but you may have gotten some with an older router, switch or other networking device.

Cat5e: Faster with Less Interference

Category 5 enhanced cabling, also known as Cat5e, is an improvement on Cat5 cabling. It was made to support 1000 Mbps “gigabit� speeds, so in theory, it’s faster than Cat5. It it also cuts down on crosstalk, the interference you can sometimes get between wires inside the cable. Both of these improvements mean you’re more likely to get fast, reliable speed out of Cat5e cabling compared to Cat5.

Cat6: Even Faster, But Not Super Necessary

Category 6 cabling is the next step up from Cat5e and includes a few more improvements. It has even stricter specifications when it comes to interference, and its capable of 10-Gigabit speeds in some cases. You probably won’t use these speeds in your home, and the extra interference improvements won’t make a huge difference in regular usage, so you don’t exactly need to rush out and upgrade to Cat6. But, if you’re buying a new cable, you might as well, since it is an improvement over its predecessor.

Cheers.

My apologies for the delay in letting you know the info helped ('specially the TCP info). Now just trying to convince my wife that it IS a good idea to allow me to remove (rip out) the network lines in the our home. She seems to be all stuck on the broken drywall/possible ceiling damage to see the true benefits of upgrading the 5 cable to 6. Heh it only took 4 months to patch that one piece of drywall we tore out (and I only fell through the ceiling once before).

And again, thanks enoskype

Archived