IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows WON'T BOOTUP needs: ntoskrnl.exe

wildwillie

This AM, when I tried to boot-up Windows XP, I got a BLACK SCREEN telling me that windows WAS UNABLE to boot-up because the file:

Windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

was corrupt or missing...!

It said I should copy this file:.. ntoskrnl.exe ...to windows.

Thanks alot.. It didn't say how to do it...!

Several calls to friends, etc., and the solution was simple.

Get a copy of this file from another computer, boot-up in SAFE mode and put it in my computer in the System32 folder.

I booted-up in SAFE mode, then looked in the System32 folder and found ntoskrnl but there was no .exe

I renamed the file, adding the .exe

...I then re-started the computer, and EVERYTHING WAS FINE... It booted-up OK..!

(I could have pasted a new copy in the System32 folder, but in my case it wasn't necessary.)

I hope this helps someone else that runs into such a problem.

Hum, never had that happen to me, but glad you could fix it.

Note however, there are some scenarios where you would not be able to boot up the computer in safe mode...in case of a system32/config crash. Have a copy of your windows reinstall cd handy, just in case.

Archived