IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

USB defrag ?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother defragmenting USBs. Simply create a temp folder on the desktop, copy the contents of the USB to the temp folder, reformat the USB, then copy the contents back. The files are copied to the empty USB contiguously, so the end result is the same. It's much faster, and you won't have any compatibility issues.

Also, the Microsoft SyncToy app is an easy and effective way to keep a synchronized copy on your PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

• 2 weeks later...

Smart Defrag - USB Defrag in Beta 3

I only recently downloaded Smart Defrag Beta 3. I had not used previous versions. This is on a custom built AMD 64 on a Gigabyte motherboard, Win XP Pro, lots of hardware add-ons, including two USB2 drives (one is 200 GB the other smaller drive about 9 GB for temp files) external drives used for video editing.

I have a couple of notes.

First, the main drive is relatively small, only 80 GB (I remember when I bought my first hard drive upgrade - 256 MB for a little over three hundred dollars - the biggest consumer drive available at the time). I did this since I knew I would never use the main drive for very much other than programs.

Anyway, I am pretty much forced to defrag the two external USB2 drives in place. I do keep DVD and tape backups of all my video work, but I wanted to see how long the defrags took (this was before I read that some people were not able to defrag external USB drives).

Here is what I found. I, too, found no USB drives when I first started Smart Defrag. In thinking about the problems, I realized that another critiacl maintenance task had been ignored for a few weeks - I did a scandisk of the two drives.

Voila! the two external drives showed up on the manual defrag list!!!

Another note: Oddly, there seem to be no unmovable files on my main drive, even though there is an 800 MB pagefile there as well as all the unmavable files XP loves, as well as those created by MS Office Pro and my video editing and other significant software. However, on each on of the two external USB drives there appears a rather large section marked as unmovable that appear to be about 1 GB or so each.

I have no idea what these are. When I checked the drives with the Windows defrag, the huge blocks do not show up at all, and the 800 MB pagefile is clearly visible on the main drive. I used a sector editor to get info on the two huge "unmovable files" sections on the two USB drives, but there is nothing there, nor in the file structure; nothing.

On one drive that is nearly half full, I happened to capture some new video which added another 30 GB of video files. Suddenly, the huge green section in the middle of the drive is nowhere to be seen. Still there on the other drive, though.

One last fact, after defraggin, neither Smart Defrag nor Windows Defrag finds anything to do, and all the files appear contiguous

I know there is nothing, because I use a shredder to write a series of single digit numbers to ensure there is nothing to get attached to any of the video files. This is evident when I view the sectors and all I see from those sectors is the last digit of the series (I count down to 0, so all I see in these sections is a zero).

Weird, eh?

Another thing I noticed (I have not been able to duplicate it yet) is that one time, I went to add a schedule and nothing happened when I clicked on the Schedule Config button. I had to make sure every drive was unchecked, apply the changes and completely exit the program so even the taskbar portion was shut down. On restarting the program, I could then add schedules.

One final note. The 200 GB drive took quite some time to scandisk, and overnight to defrag. But, many of the video files are quite huge. I am quite pleased with the significant improvement in video file manipulation times.

Archived