IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Bod!!!!!!!

Having just (today april 28th) downloaded the latest SmartDefrag I gave it a spin.

I went for "Deep optimize" and started up.

After 2 minutes the "blue screen of Death" appeared titled: "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

Noething shocking happened. I restarted XP but feel vert wary now about SmartDefrag.

Anyone else with this problem?

Dirk

Hi Robert,

I will advice you to do chkdsk /F command in command prompt window and enter Y to the question and Restart your PC.

Wait for check disk to finish before it starts Windows.

Please try only defrag first then fast optimize and then deep optimize and see if it does the same thing.

did you defrag your HD before with another defragger?

Cheers.

Bod once more into the fray

Enoskype,

Actually I put the Windows CD in the player and used "Start-Run-sfc /scannow".

It's supposed to repair windows and took about 2 hours to finish.

Yes, I did use SmartDefrag very often without any problems.

I used it specifically today because of a certain system instabillity.

My favourite game Medieval Total War all of a sudden breaks off back to the desktop. Streaming Video sometimes freezes etc.

After cleaning out my vidcard (Geforce 6200) driver I installed the latest from Nvidia. All went smoothly and I wanted to top it off with a total defrag.

I have heard it said that a BOD in the middle of a defrag can be quite desastrous. What's your opinion?

Yes, I might try the other Defrag settings and see what happens.

Otherwise I will try another defragmenter.

Thanks for your respons!

Dirk

Dirk, BOD in the middle of a defrag is quite dangerous, as it may demage the MBR, but if everything seems all right afterwards, it is good news.

sfc /scannow is OK but not enough, actually doesn't look for hardware unusable parts of HD, ei., doesn't flag the dirty parts, so I would say that you do that chkdsk with R switch.

Chkdsk in Windows can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

It will also recover files from the bad sector if there is any and flag the bad sector as not to be used.

Since you've got the Win CD, you can do that through Recovery Console there.

BTW, there is useful info in Think About Defragmentation!!! thread in Lounge section about defragmentation and also system files defragmentation. You can use Sysinternal's page file defrag progam and many others are described there in the various posts.

Cheers.

Looks like it's solved

Enoskype,

The funny thing is that after scannow my system runs like hell.

It's never been this fast!

I have done the Chkdsk /F and had a look at sysinternals. There was hardly any fragmentation.

Also I noted that SmartDefrag had automatically started up all of a sudden (forgot to set it to manual). The standard defrag ended within 10 minutes without any problems (used to take at least 20 minutes).

Still.......what DID cause the crash in the first place using deep optimize???

The answer eludes me.

Could you please answer a last this last question: Advanced System Care offers the option to optimize your system (Diagnose menu).

Registry Mechanic (PC Tools) offers the same thing.

If I have the RM's optimizer switched on....doesn't that create a conflict with the ASC optimizer?

Thank you very much for 'standing by me'!

Hi again Dirk, I am glad your problem is solved.

I would advice you to defragment the system files though. (sfc /scannow did it partially.)

What DID cause the crash in the first place using deep optimize???

The answer is beyond my knowledge without seeing the error log.

I would say that forget it, or make a deep google-ms search of "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

Answer to your second question is, yes and no. Although the algorithms of different softwares for registry cleaning are similar, they also have some differences in cleaning.

I would use both of them, but try to catch if there are any conflicts. Registry cleaning is OK, but system optimization is a bunch of preferences.

If you can see any positive difference in the usage of your PC, then choose the one you think is better.

In ASC 3, you can put the optimizations you don't want to be changed by ASC, into the ignore list.

Personally, I had Registry Mechanic, but I am using ASC 3 instead for a long time now.

Cheers.

Archived