IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defragmenting files that constantly grow (i.e. logfiles)

Logfiles that are constantly growing ended up often in i.e. 100 .. 500 fragments.

Is there a way to leave reserved space for growth of the logfiles, so they don't get fragmented immediately or in just few days?

Thanks,

Marvin

there isnt as far as i know. thers the option of letting it auto defrag for you.normally you wouldnt defrag a hard drive manually unless you have over a couple thousand fragments.. and even then it doesnt really impact your speed.

i delete my log files though, its wasted space to me.

Once or twice they (logfiles) saved my life.

I.e. SP3 install was dying, and only in the logfile it was visible that the predecessor of Steady State was preventing the upgrade!

Event log, for example, is very much needed.

I have noticed that filesystem becomes cluttered in just few days with restore point files and logs in as many as 100s of excess fragments.

OK, those aren't heavily used, but it makes sense to reserve space for a file that is i.e. written to several minutes ago and is bound to grow again soon.

It isn't such a performance bottleneck as a fact that it isn't handled according to the laws of the Vulcan logic.

Archived