IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

cant connect to internet

zark

hello-

i ran advanced windows care, everything appeared to go well. i could surf the internet, both with firefox and ie. this was during the same session.

the following day, turned on my computer, booted, but both browsers reported that they could not find the server. (note, connection was made via wifi). i am running avg antivirus and comodo firewall.

i clicked on the restore button on awc and was able to surf.

what change(s) did awc do to disable surfing? is there a way to selectively diagnose the changes?

Hi zark,

After Scan finishes, before Repair, click "Show Details" of System Optimization. (System Analysis in old versions.)

You can individually add each of the to be optimizations into "Ignore List" by right clicking on each item and selecting "Add to Ignore List".

You can decide which one eliminates your problem.

If you are not sure, post to the link below to ask Clayton.

http://www.iobit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176

I'm having a similar problem.

My browsers seem to stop working after a variable amount of time.

The internet connection itself appears fine because I can still run bittorrent and ping websites.

I don't see any "Show Details" for system optimization. It just says "No Problems." I'm afraid of doing a System Restore because it's been a while since I ran the 'optimization'. The problem didn't start happening immediately, so I've made other changes to my system since the Restore point was made.

I tried running TCP Optimizer and there were 4 settings on my computer that were empty. Makes me think that perhaps the Windowcare software deleted something it shouldn't have. From what I can tell, these settings look pretty important.

Hey guys,

are you using the TCP optimizer built into AWC for just running a basic scan? You said the system analysis comes up with no problems found but is that recently or before the original problem occured? It should have found some issues regardless of what you've tweaked on your computer before since many settings are hidden. Just restore those settings and do like enoskype said and trial and error test each optimization. That is, only trial and error test if restoring all old values works.

Did TCP optimizer fix the issue by the way?

How are you even posting to the forums if the browser doesn't work?

I'm chalk full of questions and a bit hyper after a friend's party right now but I can help you out if you give me some more information.

are you using the TCP optimizer built into AWC for just running a basic scan?

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. The only time I used AWC, I did do a System Analysis/Optimization scan and I let it repair everything it found. I figured I could rollback any changes if it screwed up my computer.

You said the system analysis comes up with no problems found but is that recently or before the original problem occured?

After the very first scan, the System Analysis/Optimization always comes up with no problems. I only started having internet connection problems since I ran AWC and repaired my system.

It should have found some issues regardless of what you've tweaked on your computer before since many settings are hidden. Just restore those settings and do like enoskype said and trial and error test each optimization. That is, only trial and error test if restoring all old values works.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize I had a problem until a bit of time had passed. My internet connection seems to be fine at first, and then it suddenly just stops working. Since TCP optimizer failed to fix my problem, I just tried to System Restore and it couldn't rollback the changes for some reason. As I expected, I've made too many other changes to my system since AWC made all those changes.

Did TCP optimizer fix the issue by the way?

Unfortunately no. I tried both the Optimal settings as well as returning the settings to Windows Default. I'm now at a loss as to how I can fix my system. As you can imagine, I'm rather upset right now.

Is there a way for AWC to change all the 'optimize' settings back to Windows Default? If not, then it looks like I am forced to reinstall XP or migrate to Vista.

Hi Fervor,

I hate the idea of reinstallation of main OS before trying solutions to retrieve the good condition.

It is the first thing the OS or hardware sellers advice you if you ask them.(It is the easiest way for them and they really mean re format the PC.)

If you want to change to Vista, then it is a different case.

------------------------------------------------------------

-Do you still have a "System Restore Point" created before or just after installation of AWC?

It is better to loose some instead of all.

-If you are interested in comprehensive and advanced broadband connection adjustment, pelase PM me.

I agree that reinstalling an OS to fix a problem is like using a sledgehammer. But in terms of time cost, at this point, reinstalling the OS is starting to look more attractive. I've already spent hours trying to troubleshoot this problem. I probably could have reinstalled XP and all my applications in that time.

In any case, I had my system set up to dual boot Vista just to try it out. Unfortunately, it looks like some games aren't completely compatible, so I'm finding I have to switch back and forth.

As for repairing my XP install, I'm out of ideas as to what to try next.

Re: my System Restore points, I tried to restore the checkpoint that was created when I first ran AWC. It failed, and in doing so, it created some errors. I had installed and uninstalled some games, and I think System Restore choked due to the sheer size of game installations nowadays.

Um...I already have a broadband connection.

Have you tried reinstalling internet explorer from the xp disc? You may simply be able to repair the issue by reinstalling...

you may also check these sites out http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

or download "dial-a-fix" (use most current version even though it's beta) and check the option that is highlighted in the screenshot attached.. that may register the right dlls for you

PS- try dial-a-fix first

Dial-a-fix

Addition to Clayton's recommendations,

I would strongly recommend to click the button with a HAMMER FIGURE on it, ("Tools" on older versions) and click once on "Repair/reinstall IE" on the top pane and read the bottom pane carefully before playing with this (must have) powerful tool. (ie. Dial-a-fix :[v0.60.0.24])

SFC purge and SFC scan is also advisable, but again read the bottom pane carefuly.

Keep your OS installation CD ready, you might be asked for it.

It is better to copy "i386" folder(400+ MB) in the XP installation CD to your C: (Windows installed volume) if it is not already copied there, to get the valid files in SFC scan. Updated ones will be taken from Windows folder SevicePackFiles automatically.

Has the CD Drive's drive letter changed (perhaps by the addition of another hard drive, partition, or removable drive) since Windows XP was first installed? If so, simply edit the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath to reflect the changed drive letter.

For SFC scan to get the correct files without the installation CD, after copying i386 to C:, you have to change the registry key as below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath to C:\ (ie. value data)

SFC Purge before SFC scan.

It saved so many people from formating their PCs, but again, I highlight the power of the tool.

First, thanks so much for continuing to try to help me troubleshoot this problem.

I tried the dial-a-fix software that registers dll's and while it might be too soon to tell, it is looking very promising. I also ran the winsock repair tool anyways because I figured my network settings were all messed up after all the fiddling around I've been doing the past couple days.

My internet connectivity through Firefox had died immediately after I downloaded the dial-a-fix software. I tried IE7 and that didn't work either. I ran the dial-a-fix software and IE7 and Firefox started working again. I didn't even have to reboot.

So are you saying that the problem is fixed and there is no need to reformat? Because... if that's what you're saying I think that enoskype and I should definately give ourselves a congratulatory pat on the back! :)

I think a tool like dial-a-fix is a must have for advanced users because it simplifies everything even if you already understand how to do it yourself. I especially love the windows update fixes and ability to dump the history (used that when Windows Defender was still in Beta 1 and couldn't EVER update because of .NET1 and 2 conflicts.... stupid MS) Anyways I think something similar could be implemented into AWC, although I'm not sure how good an idea that is since, like enoskype accentuated, the power of this tool is beyond most users who would either constantly reset their PC settings or completely purge, overturn, and destroy it!

I hope it stays fixed this time. You may as well run another AWC scan and see if the problem occurs again (restart PC first, run AWC scan + repair, restart again, check if problem occurs again... if yes then run dial-a-fix again for a simple fix... if no then the problem wasn't likely AWC and no further investigation is necessary. --- as always, run a system restore checkpoint before performing this investigation.)

Thanks,

Clayton F.

Archived