IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

closing desktop.ini

Ray Stone

I hope somebody can help.

I've posted this message to the main help desk but have had no response!

I have the latest version of ASC 3.3.4 and am running Vista 64.

On start up I get 2 copies of desktop.ini appearing that I have to close manually.

Any ideas how to get rid of this annoyance ?

Thanks

Ray

Hi

Desktop.ini files are only visible in Windows Explorer if you first un-check "Hide protected operating system files" (under Tools, Options, View)

A quick solution to this performance problem is to remove the READ_ONLY attribute from the folder and/or delete the non-essential desktop.ini files.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\start menu

Then delete one of the more desktop.ini

reset your view settings

Reboot

Or

These files are normally hidden, and they contain information about how to display the contents of a particular folder. These files are harmless, and if you delete them, Vista will recreate them automatically. In some cases, whilst deleting them won't do any harm, this will cause the folder to revert back to displaying its contents in the default manner for the content of the folder. To hide these files again, the easiest way is to click on the start orb and type 'Folder Options' in to the search box and press enter. Click 'View' and then 'Restore Defaults'. Click 'OK' to close the dialogue box.

Now you'll say what's the bug here? The bug is, these 2 files should not be visible on Desktop at all. In earlier versions of windows (like XP) no such files were shown on desktop even the file exists in desktop folder. These files are used to customize folder settings.

I came to know that one file is for current user settings and the other file is for all users profile settings.

Here are the details to re-create this bug:

1. Goto "Organize -> Folder & Search Options".

2. In "View" tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders" option and disable "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" option.

3. Now check the Desktop and you'll see 2 "desktop.ini" files on desktop.

Fix

I then got this working by opening Folder Options (by typing CONTROL FOLDERS in Start – Search box), unchecked Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and clicked Apply. Then re-checked the option and clicked Apply, OK.

The two desktop.ini files are no longer visible on the Desktop.

or

Right click on your root drive (assuming it is "C"). Select "open command window here":

(NOTE: If you don't have that right click option, then click on

Start/All Programs/Accessories/command prompt. Then enter cd c:\ and hit enter key.

Then type:

attrib -h -s desktop.ini /s and hit enter key

then enter attrib +h +s desktop.ini /s and hit enter.

Type exit and hit enter.

See what happens.

Hi

This happens if the Hidden attribute for the desktop.ini file is somehow removed. Follow these steps to resolve the problem:

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/158/1/How-to-open-an-elevated-Command-Prompt-in-Windows-Vista.html

To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Type the following command and press ENTER. (You may copy the text below and paste it in the Command Prompt window.)

attrib +s +h "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini

And then run the following command:

attrib +s +h "%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini

Type EXIT to close the Command Prompt window.

or

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Delete desktop.ini

Navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Delete desktop.ini if present.

That should stop the file from opening now.

Instead of deleting the desktop.ini files, you can just set their attributes to hidden.

Archived