IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unfixable security hole

Capmaster

XP Security update KB946648 - It keeps getting reported by Security Holes, but when I attempt to fix it it always reports it as being "Failed":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/capmaster/misc/unfix.jpg

When I visit Microsoft Updates and check the list of updates I need, this update isn't listed :-?

Rebooting doesn't change the status.

Ideas?

Edit: I located the hotfix on the Microsoft site, downloaded it and attempted to install it. It errored saying that there were prerequisites for installing the fix that weren't present. Here's the logfile:

[KB946648.log]

1.969: ================================================================================

1.969: 2009/07/30 09:50:35.125 (local)

1.969: c:\d017909ad3d4434bad\update\update.exe (version 6.3.13.0)

1.984: Hotfix started with following command line:

2.000: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2

2.031: C:\Program Files\Messenger\msgsc.dll is Not Present

2.031: Condition Check for Line 1 of PreRequisite returned FALSE

2.031: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102

2.031: KB946648 Setup encountered an error: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB946648 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB946648.log

2.047: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102

2.047: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB946648 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB946648.log

15.266: Message displayed to the user: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB946648 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB946648.log

15.266: User Input: OK

15.266: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f4

15.266: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

I don't even have Messenger installed. That explains why Microsoft Update doesn't suggest the hotfix. But why does Security Holes?

XP Security update KB946648 - It keeps getting reported by Security Holes, but when I attempt to fix it it always reports it as being "Failed":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/capmaster/misc/unfix.jpg

When I visit Microsoft Updates and check the list of updates I need, this update isn't listed :-?

Rebooting doesn't change the status.

Ideas?

Edit: I located the hotfix on the Microsoft site, downloaded it and attempted to install it. It errored saying that there were prerequisites for installing the fix that weren't present. Here's the logfile:

I don't even have Messenger installed. That explains why Microsoft Update doesn't suggest the hotfix. But why does Security Holes?

Hi Capmaster,

Just to let you know you are not on your own but mine shows up as four problems not just one.

Alex

Thanks Alex.

I understand that being a beta release there will be issues. I have no problems with that.

I think this is the best overall PC health software I've ever seen, and I'm glad to be able to participate in "wringing it out" 8-)

Welcome to the WunnerFul Wurld of WinWoes

Hi Capmaster,

just so happens - my XP install is sporting KB946648....

? Who knows where it came from...

For a legally registered MicroSloth OS and/or WinWoes app, there is an auto update option...

Unfortunately, as with all things WinWoes, the auto-update MS/Win stuff only works with Internet Explorer...

It's a viscous cycle of overlapping MicroSloth blote-code.

Periodically,,, say the first Tuesday of each month - MicroSloth burps out volumes of blote-code to fix all the stuff that shouldn't be wrong with their software to begin with...

This can be anything from any of the plethora of OS manifestations - to the forest of Office packages - to just about anything that MS has absorbed lately.

Here may be where your problem lay...

First one must update the OS - in whatever flavor is currently installed.

One might think the a single Service Pack would do this... think again...

Any given SP only gets you part way there.

The Service Pack will update part of the OS and some part of Internet Explorer.

As the OS/IE gets smarter, this enables the install of more and more KB?#?#?#?#?s.

Not all Knowledge Base security fixes can be installed independently.

They must be patched - re-patched and patched again.. in a particular order.

This order can be dependent on your version of OS and applications.

That is why IE is critical to the process.

Only IE, with its peculiar ActiveX controls, can proctor the process.

This can be a bit un-nerving... what you are enabling is the remote analysis and independent install of lots of stuff (I have 95 odd patches on my machine)

You would be allowing someone else's system to sniff through out your machine - verify authentication of all your apps, then download whatever it deems necessary to fix problems that the external system has decided is important.

You will be allowed to choose/review what is going to be installed...

but, it's not like you really have a choice...

{Avoid installing WinWoes Search 4.0 if possible}.

If you do don't worry, it'll stop working in a week or two... you can always remove it later.

Now, FireFox, Opera, Chrome can all find the MS Knowledge Base.

They are all capable of downloading anything that you can find...

The trick here is the order.

Oh, and - after some KB##'s installs your system has to be rebooted for the changes to take effect.

Then more KB's can be downloaded/installed...

Eventually, more reboots...

You get the picture....

And, THIS is what MicroSloth thinks is the height of Productivity.

Remember, scan ever 15 minutes... update all your apps twice a day... never open an email attachment.... and, the biggy "They'll fix it all in the next version of WinWoes."

Archived