IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Too many unmovable files?

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Smart Defrag 1.20. I have a lot of black (unmovable files), which seem to be located on another part of the disk, and do not respond to fast optimize. Originally, this machine came with a hard drive backup in a separate 10 GB partition. I thought these black files were from that partition. I subsequently deleted this partition using Drive Manager, and expanded the "C" drive volume to fill the space. I now have two partitions, System Volume, and the "C" volume. Compared to my other computers, running XP, the fragmentation map doesn't seem right, with so much black. I am attaching a picture of the map. I'd like to know if this is normal, or do I have to delete some hidden files?

Hi abrenner,

Is it a PC or laptop?

If it is, then, MFT, MFT reserve space, Metadata files, page file, and hibernation file, Restore Points, altogether would take that much space.

Anyway if it is a PC, and assuming that there is no hibernation file, even then it is not too many than normal.

By definition, hibernation file size is equal to your RAM memory size. (Higher the RAM, bigger the Page file and hibernation file sizes.)

Cheers.

Hi abrenner

your hard-disk has the same problem as it had mine.

my own was repaired by mistake (read i thread started by me here) and so i don´t know how you can fix it.

maybe the problem was initiated by optimize defrag from SMART-DEFRAG but i cannot be sure. The black immovable clusters will increase as time goes on.

cheers

hi abrenner

if the problem with the immovable clusters is the space for restore-points then follow this proceedure:

All programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup

choose Files from all users give permission

select tab More Options

choose Clean-up under System restore and shadow copies

choose delete

all restore points will be deleted except the last one

check with smart defrag and free space as well

Sometimes if u don't erase restore points regularly can take up to 15% space of hard-disk

cheers

Archived