IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

4.01 beta shuts itself after 10% of defrag??!

Hi,

Unfortunately I am back with my problems. :)

4.01 beta is highly unstable because it shut itself down again after 10 %. I wonder what should I do to make it work. As an experienced beta tester I have done everything. I can't do more. Why is it working under Win 2000 Pro SP4? And not XP? Or is it Vista compatibility that spoilt everything?

I have got the feeling that the software is not moving forwards but backwards.

Nobody seems to care about beta testers. No real feedback. Other editors do it. Why not IObit? I understand that a beta is a beta. I have not got a problem with this but those old bugs should be coming back. That's no good.

On the French security sub-forum users keep asking me when is it going to be possible to use Smartdefrag. I don't know what to tell them. Most of them switched to Auslogics.

Hi,

You bring up some very important points. If the program is shutting itself down after only 10% defrag you may want to try and test both defrag options (both regular defragment and the defragment + optimize option) to see if you have the same issues. If you have any other drives to test this on you may want to check that out as well.

If the problem persists you should be able to post an error report on the forums OR you can simply attempt to correct the issue for yourself in the following way (though it would not be as helpful as would submitting the error report to the programming team):

If you uninstall the program, you should delete the old SmartDefrag folder that should be located in the local drive (likely C) that you installed it to under the directly "IObit." Once you delete that folder, try reinstalling the program and then give it another test to see if it works.

By the way, what do you mean by the French Security sub-forum? I haven't been around to moderate the forums for awhile with all of my school work so I haven't seen this yet. Is the issue that there is not a working French language file or something?

Thanks,

Clayton

I think he's saying that he recommended SmartDefrag to many French users on another forum and SmartDefrag hasn't been usable for many of the users on that forum.

Then he's saying that people are asking him how development is going and when SmartDefrag will actually work properly on their computers. Is that right MacPeter?

Hi,

Thanks Clayton for your suggestions. I have done it several times. Smartdefrag seems to work under Win 2000 Pro SP4. But not under XP SP2 fully patched.

You can be sure I am not going to give up but I'd like a better reaction from the devs.

I think you are right there must be a problem related to French because there is a similar problem or bug between Sandboxie and Firefox. There is a display problem when the user goes to a French forum, any French forum. With English forums there isn't any problem.

Yes Adchia, you are absolutely right. I'd like to have few suggestions that I could tell the French users.

As an experienced beta tester I know that a software may always have problems. But I should be able to tell them something.

For the time being I will try to make it work on my computer first.(XP SP2)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Here is a follow-up:

As I said before I was going to look into the problem myself.

1. So I uninstalled, again, Smartdefrag.

2. Deleted the folder

3. The I had a look in the Registry. I was quite surprised to find 26 entries??!!! with the word Smartdefrag.

I wonder what's the use of telling people to delete the folder manually if it's not enough and there is such a mess in the Registry. Your uninstaller does not do its job.

I hope I found the solution.

Well, I left Automatic defrag on and after a while it stopped by itself. Before it could go on and on without stopping. I had to disable it every time. But not this time. Let's hope for the best.

On Sunday I am going to do an unscheduled manual defrag and optimizing. Let's hope it's going to work the way I want to.:)

But in the meantime the devs should do something about those 26 entries. Maybe with Windows in English it does not happen but with Wndows in French it makes a mess.

Hi everybody,

Here is a follow-up:

1. Unfortunately defragging on drive C ended at those 10% again and 1,199,765 total files.

2. I tried defragging my other drives and the program worked all right. Maybe a little bit too fast.

3. The bit I did not like at all was when I used Auslogics to defrag drive C and there was not a problem at all. The program said that I had 1,302, 647 files.

4. So let's think aloud: Smartdefrag shut itself down at 10% and 1,199,765 files, so if I have so many files :) on my drive C ...10% would mean about 119,976 files. Where does then 1,199,765 come from? I don't have over 10.000,000 files on my drive C!!!!

The only conclusion I have is that Smartdefrag has a problem (and not my drive...as some are going to suggest:) ), I tried out 8 different programs and all of them went through the job without problems. I don't know whether it's French, Windows Vista compatibility or both but the devs should do something about it fast.

Just a little reminder:) at the beginning Smartdefrag was running smoothly on my computer (the first versions of Smartdefrag). Nothing has changed since those days on my computer. Only versions of Smartdefrag did change.

4.01 not working

I have installed the program and un-installed the program several times and still it doesn't get past 6% on the analysis never mind the manual defrag. I have now gone back to the old version until there is a stable version of 4.

I am running XP home with full SP2

Yes, but have you also tried deleting the old program folder after uninstalling before you do a fresh install? This has fixed many problems for me in the past- the only downside is that it does not allow the programmers to find out exactly what the problem was in the first place.

ISD Test version 2

I have installed the program and un-installed the program several times and still it doesn't get past 6% on the analysis never mind the manual defrag. I have now gone back to the old version until there is a stable version of 4.

I am running XP home with full SP2

Thanks team, I have downloaded and installed the new test version you sent via email and all is well as far as I can tell. It seems to be running perfectly. Great program

• 2 weeks later...

Drive C 10%

Is it "possible" that IO is choking on an I/O error in that specific area of the drive that others seem to ignore or accept?

Drive manufacturers used to give extra cylinders for bad sectors and warranty their drives much longer/better. Now, we use at our own risk.

I own and am a big supporter of Gibson Research "Spinrite". It is a hard drive reconditioning tool that bypasses all of the O/S & controller error correcting software.

It finds those "weak" areas and either restores them or approx 100% of the time safely moves what it can to another good cluster and marks that area as bad. Something a high-level format cannot do. Not even sure if a low-level format can catch that either.

Just my thoughts. No freeware or shareware version of this utility. But it has saved me and helped me resurect friends drives that would not boot.

Archived