IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

xp boots slow after optimization defrag

FYI my XP sp2 boots very slow after defrag with optimization.

I know of XP's pre loading of executable image fragments and perhaps this needs to rebuild. I booted twice to try to get the rebuild to occur.

You might add looking at this to your to do list.

tnx curt

Do you mean that you don't think that the optimization option placed the prefetch/preloading files in a good spot (i.e. the front) of the disk?

Or do you think that the optimization process somehow corrupted the preloaded files?

P.S. Have you had this issue with any of the previous builds of SmartDefrag/ have you tried defragging and optimizing again to make sure that a full optimization did occur?

xp boots slow

Good questions!! I see many of the users here know alot about the internal operation of defrag. LOL I'm not one of those users. I can only observe and report symptoms. :)

Guessing based on other OS experience: I'll guess that the MS kernel needs the physical location of this file and it's fragments to never change. I'm guessing that the MS swapper loads the active page set for the most used tasks from this hot list of image fragments. If the swapper actualy uses entries into this file as extensions of read only swap than physical location and file structure may need to be fixed and not changed by a defrag tool?

I'll keep an eye on boot times to see if it goes back down to the latency prior to optimization defrag.

BTW to test you'll need to load your run time up with alot of big apps that you run every time you boot, and or have a lot of services that start at OS boot time. Surely someone has written an open source Mr. Piggie service that you install 20 of to simulate a full boat MS run time, like mine. ;-(

It's a stock trading platform with a sprint wan card. Run time uses 1.5G physical and 10 fat apps.

If you don't load the stuffing out of your test box, you'll never see the difference in boot time. :(

Just my guesses and attempts at helping you.

Thanks and good luck, curt

Archived