IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Problems after Defrag/Deep Optimize

Upon reboot, boot screen msg="hard disc failure imminent, etc. etc.". Before process, Active Hard Disk Monitor had health at good/77%. After process, health at dangerous/49%. Anyone with any ideas as to what may have happened? I am still using the computer, but am contemplating the steps I need to take to prevent a big fat fail. Since IObit doesn't offer disc imaging sofware, does anyone have any suggestions since a new drive seems to be in my immediate future.

Defragmenting your HD gives it an extremely good workout, and if your HD is having issues a defrag often brings out the first obvious signs of impending failure...

77% drive fitness is already what I'd consider pretty low, it definitely sounds like your HD was on the way out before the defrag, and this decline is now accelerating...

Backup important data NOW as your HD might completely die any minute, and get a new HD asap. Check if the current HD is still under warranty - I'm actually in exactly the same situation, my HD is on its way out (speedfan reports its fitness is 55%) and I've had a few instances of unrecoverable read errors.

I checked the serial number on seagate's website and they said its still under warranty, but I just brought a new 1tb drive to transfer everything to before I return the old one.

I've never bothered trying to transfer windows to a new drive, I've always just re-installed but this time I'm going to give it a go.

I found this page with some good options for free software to do it:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-clone-and-copy-your-hard-drive/

I downloaded paragon drive backup express but had problems with their website obtaining a serial, so I then tried xxclone and it said it cloned the HD but I don't trust it - its an old program and it didn't seem to understand the windows 7 boot files or symlinks windows 7 uses in the SxS folder -The cloned HD is bigger than the original and the symlinks have been replaced with the actual files. I bet it won't boot either.

Tonight I'll try to register paragon again, or try driveimage xml.

Good luck! :-D

Hi sho4go,

We are sorry to hear that you got trouble with your HD.

Your HD's health was detected as 77% before defrag and 49% after process.

As I know, it's NOT recommended to use defrag tools if your HD has some bad sectors or has a bad health.

When a defragmentation is processing, it will read and write over and over again. This will speed up your HD going to bad.

Backup your important data firstly and try to contact support of your HD for help.

Good luck.

Archived