IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

No-So-Smart Defrag blew up videocard

I installed Io(Not-So-Smart) defrag and tested it once. It was quite fast, which I -and most everyone, I guess- welcomed.

One of the finest features was the "Turn PC off after finishing". In order to test it I put my PC to defrag late evening and went to sleep. Unatended defrag got me into trouble, though.

When I got Up 9 hours later PC was still running, but monitor was black. No signal coming from the CPU and HDD running wild. My dear Nvidia GeForce FX5400, 256Mb (on AMD Sempron MB with 1.6Mhz AMD 2.400 CPU) went totally gaga to hardware heaven. I had to borrow a 64Mb slow video card to monitor checkdisk activity and restore system to normal.

That was an expensive, not funny bug to report, so needless to say I immediately uninstalled Not-So-Smart Defrag and stored the IoBit experience.

Any explanations please email to odlanierzenitram at yahoo dot com.

Take notice everyone.

This is one reason I really hope that Iobit doesn't attach the defrag program to AWCPro in the future. Making an all in one program with half that works with half that has problems will force me not to renew my subscription.

For Defraging my drives I will only use proven and tested defraggers like Perfect Disk or the one that just happens to be included in Vista. They do the job and just work.

Trusting your drives and files to unproven defragmenters, and letting all in one programs automatically take care of it all is just dangerous.

I'm not sure what a disk management app could have done to blow a video card; you might be looking at just a coincidence.

That said, I agree that the defrag app is essentially a loose cannon. In all honesty I haven't run it for the last 2 "dot" releases...it's not worth the risk. With all the erratic and inconsistent behaviors being reported (and I don't believe all the reports are exaggerated, made up, or the result of ignorance) I think IObit should recall the betas and advise "cease and desist" until they get a decent release candidate going. Letting their customers flail around with this thing is Very Bad Idea.

Tried Again, got same message

I unistalled Iorbit Defrag once because of the following message, please view copy of popup. 8-)

I did the retry and ended up with a smaller window about reporting the error. I received no response on that. I thought it may be a Vbruntime problem, but it clearly say Visual C ++? Something to do with visual basic perhaps!?

Who knows, so when in extreme doubt, back to a second and perminate uninstall. Going back to XP defrag or System Suite!

Following the Majors at http://majorgeeks.com

• 2 weeks later...

software blew up video card?

This is a new one on me - last time I knew smart defrag worked on the hard drive, not the video card - in my past experience, when a video card took a dump on me, it was also overnight BUT the cooling fan quit working for some reason and it blew up my card that way - I wholely do NOT believe IOBIT had anything to do with your video card blowing up

Looks as if Danger is lurking in the defragger

Whoops! Maybe I should have read this thread before trying out the Defrag Program.

Here is the snapshot of a drive that it has just "defragged." I think that I will quietly ease out of this one.

It is weird because Advanced Win Care is such a great program. Problems with this free program won't help encourage confidence from potential users who would benefit from AWC.

odlanierzenitram,

You knew this software was still in it's "Beta" stages why wouldn't you have submitted your system to them before you even attempted to run it to see if there may have been an issue with that card?

I do think it was fried and you should have yourself as a beta tester had watched it as it was running and NOT unattended OVERNIGHT that is your fault for Trusting Beta Software!

I know your feeling I have screwed myself a few times hehehe.

Skelator

I unistalled Iorbit Defrag once because of the following message, please view copy of popup. 8-)

I did the retry and ended up with a smaller window about reporting the error. I received no response on that. I thought it may be a Vbruntime problem, but it clearly say Visual C ++? Something to do with visual basic perhaps!?

Who knows, so when in extreme doubt, back to a second and perminate uninstall. Going back to XP defrag or System Suite!

Following the Majors at http://majorgeeks.com

Thought I should come back here to add something. I downloaded the newest version of Iorbit Defrag 4.03. I did not get no error of any kind and it defragged an 80 and 2 gig hard drives blazingly fast. Fast meaning like 5 minutes as compared to Xp defrag at almost two hours!! What can I say!? :mrgreen:

Whoops! Maybe I should have read this thread before trying out the Defrag Program.

Here is the snapshot of a drive that it has just "defragged." I think that I will quietly ease out of this one.

It is weird because Advanced Win Care is such a great program. Problems with this free program won't help encourage confidence from potential users who would benefit from AWC.

Here's something you might not know. Every defragger uses a different algorithm to defragment its files for peak performance. For example, Raxco's PerfectDisk uses the "Most Frequently Modified" strategy, placing the most recently modified files first on the disk so they are able to be accessed first and the least used files at the end. If you run it, then run Windows' build-in defragmenter (or ANY other defragmenter for that matter), it will most likely tell you that nearly every file is fragmented or out of place. It doesn't mean they actually ARE fragmented or out of place, it just uses a different method of file placement. Just thought I'd lend a helping hand. Trust me, SmartDefrag isn't too bad. =]

Here's something you might not know. Every defragger uses a different algorithm to defragment its files for peak performance.

Thanks, ClearD for that. It's true that I did not particularly think of the possible algorithms.

What puzzles me about this one, though, is that it is a snapshot of the disk after it had been SmartDefragged: not simply analyzed. Had this just been the analysis, it would make sense. Or had there been a few red patches here and there, I would assume that the effort to defrag those few as being overkill for little result.

But this shows about 80% of the disk as being severely fragmented after defragmentation :?: It does not exactly inspire confidence.

Ohh, so this is an analysis with SmartDefrag after it has done a defragmentation? That makes more sense and is a little concerning. That is very strange indeed...

Well, again citing PerfectDisk, the first time I tried it, I had used Diskeeper beforehand, and my fragmented files were only like 3% fragmented, and after it had run, they were 5% fragmented. It actually made it WORSE, but then I changed the style of defragmentation, ran it 2 more times, and brought it to 0%. So maybe try running it again once or twice? I really am confident that Iobit has a keeper in their hands here, they just need to get the bugs out. =]

Ohh, so this is an analysis with SmartDefrag after it has done a defragmentation? That makes more sense and is a little concerning. That is very strange indeed...

Well, again citing PerfectDisk, the first time I tried it, I had used Diskeeper beforehand, and my fragmented files were only like 3% fragmented, and after it had run, they were 5% fragmented. It actually made it WORSE, but then I changed the style of defragmentation, ran it 2 more times, and brought it to 0%. So maybe try running it again once or twice? I really am confident that Iobit has a keeper in their hands here, they just need to get the bugs out. =]

Thanks again ClearD for your response.

Somewhere else in this thread, we were reminded that this is a beta version of the program; this suggests that there are probably bugs yet to be worked out. Actually, I did run the defrag operation a couple of times, but still came out with the same result. So I think that it would be more prudent to wait until the beta becomes an alpha, or a gamma, or even omega. That disk is the one that contains all my data, and I would rather not tamper with it too much.

So I am a defragger-in-waiting. ;-)

Thanks again ClearD for your response.

Somewhere else in this thread, we were reminded that this is a beta version of the program; this suggests that there are probably bugs yet to be worked out. Actually, I did run the defrag operation a couple of times, but still came out with the same result. So I think that it would be more prudent to wait until the beta becomes an alpha, or a gamma, or even omega. That disk is the one that contains all my data, and I would rather not tamper with it too much.

So I am a defragger-in-waiting. ;-)

I understand your concern and agree =]

Yeah, sometimes beta programs can be buggy, and unless you have a computer that you can bear to restore (in case of problems), I'd wait until a full release of the program to try it again. I'd assume that IObit is probably working on Advanced WindowsCare 3 at the moment and will be bringing out more SmartDefrag bug fixes after its release, but that's only speculation. I'm not affiliated with them, so I can't really say anything for sure. I really hope they get some bugs fixed on this program soon, though, as on-the-fly defragmenters tend to be the new wave.

Archived