IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Game Box customization of shortcuts

Axis

While the Game Box is interesting, it's only real benefit is for the extremely lazy. I guess I qualify as one of those but as it is now I am not using it. First off, the .exe files that are added as shortcuts need to have the ability to customize that shortcut (name, path) since it works fine for some games but for games like TF2 and other steam games it doesn't work at all. For example the .exe file attached to TF2 is a "hl2.exe" file in its folder and just using that inside of Game Box doesn't work. It launches with an error.

I use steam for other non-steam games as well (for the ingame chat features) and If I could edit the path then I could actually launch my non-steam game shortcut and enable steam messaging as well as running GB2 automagically. As it is now, I just have to launch GB2 then launch my non-steam game shortcut as I usually do to have both working properly. Otherwise I launch Mass Effect 2, for example, from Game Box and my steam ingame isn't working since I bypassed the steam non-game shortcut by using the one in Game Box.

Also as was previously posted, since I don't use the Game Box at the moment, a feature to disable it or prevent it from launching with GB2 would be most welcome.

Otherwise nice job... maybe rethink the Game Booster 2 logo design on top as well. That black border fading to red on the bottom around the words gets lost (because of thickness and color) and ends up looking like a crappy red drop shadow. And that font is not the greatest. The GB2 icon is very nice, some extra effort on the text part of the logo would help.

My 3 cents.

The only way that game box could be compatable with steam games is if it waited like a minute after you run the game from game box (because some games takes a while to load) and then track the "hl2.exe" process to see when it is closed.

And all the shortcuts to steam games are in .url format which would be even harder to implement. So an easy solution would be just to have an option to disable game box.

The only way that game box could be compatable with steam games is if it waited like a minute after you run the game from game box (because some games takes a while to load) and then track the "hl2.exe" process to see when it is closed.

And all the shortcuts to steam games are in .url format which would be even harder to implement. So an easy solution would be just to have an option to disable game box.

Yeah Steam changed their shortcut format to the url structure but it's still possible to use it. I have Object dock installed and it's as simple as pasting the link into the shortcut you want to use, e.g. you paste steam://rungameid/13539060969543565312 into the link area and it works fine. Though for some reason I haven't really investigated the gameid can change over time. Then the shortcut stops working and you need to create a new shortcut to desktop then copy the info back. Tiresome sometimes but overall it works. I would expect if I could edit the shortcut within Game Box and insert the above info then I could have my steam cake and eat it too. I don't know about the waiting a minute thing though, my games launch fine from my Object Dock shortcuts and Steam is enabled as well. Never have an issue. I know Game Box will first turn everything off so I assume there is some delay set already before actually triggering the shortcut in there but in all honesty, I haven't used it yet. Disabling the Game Box is a must have regardless, not everyone is going to use this function.

Archived