IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ISD 4.03 unable to turn off, also other issues

Hi

Since using the 4.03 version of ISD I have had very strange problems the ISD will fire up on its own and start defraging even when there is a full screen program/game running with 99% CPU cycles being used, this also makes web pages take for ever to load, when I get ISD to turn off web pages load quick and system is fine.

Other problem is that the program won't show up in the notification icon (by the clock) I have the option to "show always" for every icon in the list, it just simple doesn't show and unable to turn it off "end process" or "process tree" in the task manager when the ISD is running, my options are where I have go through the start menu to bring the ISD to screen then I minimize to the taskbar at this point I am able to right click and turn it off, the other option is to simply restart my PC via power button and hope it doesn't fall into this cycle again, This morning I uninstalled ISD its more of a hassle then a help.

At this time I don't have ISD installed I can list any system spec if reqested.

sounds like you had a corrupted install or 4.03 got corrupted after install.

I would run a reg cleaning program like free eusing reg cleaner or winaso these do deep reg cleaning. then run ccleaner to clean up anything else left over.

Then get a fresh download saved to your desktop and install from there.

if the problem still occurs then i would suspect a clash of software, what O/S are you running?

Not a bad installation. this is a serious problem which is related to the fact that IOSD is apparently leaking some exclusive handle locks used by its Asynchronous IO Completion Requests (or handles to IO Completion ports). As long as it dose not receive the completion, it will refuse to quit, and the OS will maintain the process in memory, and it can't be killed (even by an admin).

Note: I've used a single version of ISD, only the latest one. This was a clean initial install, on a clean Vista (with all the usual OS patches installed as recommanded by MS).

Really, this is still not even a Beta, but an Alpha. Don't use or even try ISD on any server. ISD is way to far from having a "Pro" version, with this critical bug, when it requires rebooting in a unclean way to stop the accumulating processes and leaking IO Completion ports.

it will refuse to quit, and the OS will maintain the process in memory, and it can't be killed (even by an admin) when it requires rebooting in a unclean way

Cool, glad some one understands what it was doing to my system, I will use the past version of IOSD but won't touch the 4.03 again till its a bit easier on my system, thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

In fact every morning now I see the animated IOSD icon in the system tray. When I click it, it says that there's an defrag being performed, but there's visibly no disk activity, and no significant CPU usage.

The GUI interface is inactive. It effectively says that disk C is defragmenting in the status column, but I can't stop it (the Start button is greyed, assuming it is active), but the Stop button is also inactive (but not greyed).

IOSD does not detect the completion of a defrag, when it has been started and finished in the background when the GUI was not displayed.

I can't do anything else than closing the window and then using the menu from the system tray to force it to quit. Sometimes, it will exit, somtime it will not. When IOSD quit, it remains in memory as an active process.

If I relaunch IOSD from the desktop start icon, it runs a second instance of the process. The active IOSD process is hang and in fact does not quit. This is a clear sign of leakage of resources, most probably handles to exclusive locks, that are not freed as expected.

After 48 hours, IOSD usage of dedicated memory (not paged) is effectively constantly growing. This will certainly severely affect the system performance.

Don't use IOSD in a way that allows it to run in the background. It's bogous. Disable the service that runs in dead threads holding exclusive locks.

Really, another sign that this is not even a beta but a true alpha, but not a proof of concept.

I personnally prefer using "Defraggler" for now as another free defragmenter, that does not have this severe bug. In addition, Defraggler is not an alpha or beta, even though it is still in development, like IOBit SD. Defraggler also does not exhibit any ads in its window, and its GUI is much better: its window at least is resizable, and it uses less memory, and can also defragment the free space.

For paid tools, nothing is best for now than Diskeeper (for its background defragmenter) and PerfectDisk (for manual defragmentations).

IObit Smart Defrag is not smart enough for now. Lots of progress is needed to ever compete with the two latest paid tools or with Defraggler.

thanks for the tip, verdy p

I checked out defraggler site and they make good software. I'm gonna get it, heheh. I'm still gonna stick with IO smart defrag too. It has the potential of being as good as Diskeeper. I guess it depends what kinda defragmenter you want)

Diskeeper is too expensive for my home computer, heheh.

I like Auslogics defrag software for standalone, it's pretty fast:-P

I've used commercial software at work and tried a lot of shareware at home. I'm starting to lean to any software on sourceforge.net by now, lol

my 2 cents: All beta software has bugs, people that don't like that, they shouldn't download beta software.

defraggler

I downloaded defraggler and ran it.

Looks like a real handy utility for gamers:-)

You're able to defrag the file you use in your game mostly, real fast.

But for my system itself, i'll use IObit defrag for now.

I will use defraggler now and then, when my games start loading maps real slow, heheh

thanks again for the tip

I checked out defraggler site and they make good software. I'm gonna get it, heheh. I'm still gonna stick with IO smart defrag too. It has the potential of being as good as Diskeeper. I guess it depends what kinda defragmenter you want)

Diskeeper is too expensive for my home computer, heheh.

I like Auslogics defrag software for standalone, it's pretty fast:-P

I've used commercial software at work and tried a lot of shareware at home. I'm starting to lean to any software on sourceforge.net by now, lol

my 2 cents: All beta software has bugs, people that don't like that, they shouldn't download beta software.

You're right. There is just one problem: any beta version moves forward not backward...

Archived