IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

feel cheated by IObit

Linkmi.net

The download page of http://iobit.com/password-protected-folder.html is still talking about a FREE DOWNLOAD only, after all it's still in beta and it's the users who send you feedback and thus help you develop it.

But today suddenly I got a nagschreen saying 'You Have 3 Trial Left'. Well, beside that it is poor English (it seems you mean 3 logins) it's inappropriate to force people to pay for something that was offered as free, nothing mentioned about a trial !

ps,

what happens with my protected files when I not upgrade ? I cannot access them anymore ? Nothing mentioned about that !

ps2,

please don't copy the tasteless behavior of the software makers who use the term 'Free Download' to make (the less clever) people think the product is free while it is not, that is so cheap and tricky ! (and it does not fit a company who create quality products)

http://pictohut.com/uploadedImages/b727bd4816588765a887308b6e762938.gif

http://pictohut.com/uploadedImages/3e5b29903a3e8408dbcfd4a3d04c0bbc.gif

http://pictohut.com/uploadedImages/9ab06b1b46d7882263f9c6a19dffb635.jpg

http://pictohut.com/uploadedImages/e0086eaf9f4dc3eea74d62482533fa49.gif

Hi Linkmi,

ps2,

please don't copy the tasteless behavior of the software makers who use the term 'Free Download' to make (the less clever) people think the product is free while it is not, that is so cheap and tricky ! (and it does not fit a company who create quality products)

Like you mentioned, it is Free download and Free to try as well.

Ever since Beta 1.0, It is noted that the software itself is a shareware.

Also on Majorgeeks for Protected Folder, it is said that it's a shareware.

"License: Shareware $19.95"

ps,

what happens with my protected files when I not upgrade ? I cannot access them anymore ? Nothing mentioned about that !

Once the trial runs out, you can still access the program; however, Only the Unlock function works. So you can still keep all those files protected, and can still Unlock them. You just can't use the Add function.

I am sure you do NOT want to try a Beta program that has to pay. Beta is for testing purposes. It is for making the software stable and better; therefore, ALL functions needs to be free and available.

Beta 3.0 implemented that last piece required for the Final release, which is the way people have to pay. The final version of this software is about to be release, and Beta 3.0 is stable and will pretty much be the same as the Final release.

Cheers.

;59439']Hi Linkmi,

Like you mentioned, it is Free download and Free to try as well.

Ever since Beta 1.0, It is noted that the software itself is a shareware.

Also on Majorgeeks for Protected Folder, it is said that it's a shareware.

"License: Shareware $19.95"

Once the trial runs out, you can still access the program; however, Only the Unlock function works. So you can still keep all those files protected, and can still Unlock them. You just can't use the Add function.

I am sure you do NOT want to try a Beta program that has to pay. Beta is for testing purposes. It is for making the software stable and better; therefore, ALL functions needs to be free and available.

Beta 3.0 implemented that last piece required for the Final release, which is the way people have to pay. The final version of this software is about to be release, and Beta 3.0 is stable and will pretty much be the same as the Final release.

Cheers.

I'm getting confused now !

The version I am using, after a few updates, is Beta 3.0, then why now am I asked to pay ? The nag screen did not say anything about a jump from Beta to Final Release.

Btw, still there is not any information on your site regarding the used algorithm and secure factor e.g. when compare with TrueCrypt / BestCrypt etc. Any useful info regarding this ?

Kind regards ;)

Al

Hi Linkmi,

My very very last little paragraph explained why you have to pay for Beta 3.0.

Sorry, I didn't finish my sentence lol.

Add "That is why you have to pay for Beta 3.0." at the very end.

It is because the Final version is about to be released, and Beta 3.0 can be said as the final version (They are pretty much the same).

Regarding the technical aspect of algorithm and secure factor, I do not know. Does TrueCrypt / BestCrypt etc. mention their algorithm and secure factor on their site??

Cheers.

The final version of this software is about to be release, and Beta 3.0 is stable and will pretty much be the same as the Final release.

You confirm a clear difference between V.Beta and V.Final, and on PF is still the 'Beta' logo so you may expect it to be free.

edit: the information on your website is clear enough I guess ? It says 'Free Software' and it is categorized with the other free software.

http://gentileggentile.com/images/ionep.png

edit: and how about this one on the support form:

http://pictohut.com/uploadedImages/4b99693bbaae6c3de01636bb6b0548d6.jpg

Protected Folder is freeware so don't ask your testers suddenly to pay, that is not correct, simple enough. Do not try to defend yourself with 'reasons' and 'excuses'.

Cheers ;)

IObit is watching you!

I think IObit has heard the discussion.:-P

I agree that IObit should start the paid version with final release and 10 trial possibility is on the low side.

One thing is for sure though, Protected Folder is a shareware.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7133&d=1301325976 http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7132&d=1301324529

Cheers.

Absolutely cheated

I thoroughly agree and feel disgusted at the attitude of IOBIT.

I think this is a fantastic piece of software, as are the other IOBIT FREEware programs I am using.

I know you get nothing for nothing these days but when I download a FREE program, I don't expect to be told later, it's not.

If they had been upfront, I would have considered paying for this program but as they weren't, I'll probably revert to TrueCrypt and may abandon my other IOBIT "freeware" programs as well in case they suddenly decide to do the same thing with them!

Hi robichris, welcome to the forum!

Have you read the post specially the Note: from IObit Guy below, posted on Nov. 17th, 2010 ?

Protected Folder Beta Available Now!

Note: This is a Beta version and we do not recommend general users downloading it, as it may do harm to your system.

Latest Version: Beta 3.0 Download Now

(Released date: 2011-3-16)

What's new in Beta 3.0:

------------------------

+ Improved interface

+ Improved driver

+ Added language file

* Fixed general bugs

1) Protected Folder Forum

Share your feedback and join Protected Folder discussion on our forum.

2) Send us Emails

beta-feedback@iobit.com

3) Help Us Translate

Translation is available in latest Beta 3.0

You can find our Language file (English Only currently ) in:

C:\Program Files\IObit\Protected Folder\Language\English.lng (Usually path)

C:\Program Files\IObit\Protected Folder\Freeware\Languages\Inno_English.lng (Usually path)

Please help us translate both of them via following method:

- Open the '.lng' file with Windows "NotePad" or any other text editors.

- And you can translate these English words into your own language now.

- All you need to do is translating the words to the right of “=”. Note: Please do not translate "%s" or "%d".

- Please strictly follow the format.

- Please send your translation to beta-feedback@iobit.com

Thanks -so- much in advance!

Note: Protected Folder will be shareware, and top testers and translators will be given free licenses.

Cheers.

When I first downloaded what was then called Password Folder, it was Beta 1 and it was declared FREEware.

And I have been happy to provide whatever feedback I could (having over 30 years of computer experience, I have happily tested beta products for others in the past) - but, experiencing no problems, nor having the language skills to provide translation have felt fairly impotent in that area.

On each update to a new version, there has not been any notification that its status was being changed to SHAREware. So suddenly finding I won't be able to use it anymore without paying, I find distinctly dishonest.

On each update to a new version, there has not been any notification that its status was being changed to SHAREware. So suddenly finding I won't be able to use it anymore without paying, I find distinctly dishonest.

robichris, before making such a comment on honesty :evil: please read the relevant threads/posts in the forum.

Read THIS post dated Nov. 22nd, 2010 and edited on Nov. 23rd, 2010, which is giving a link to IOBit Password Folder 1.0 Beta 1 is RELEASED! thread (which is also dated Nov. 22nd, 2010).

Read the whole post, especially EDIT: written by me there.

Have a great day.

THIS IS ENOUGH FOR IF THE Protected Folder IS SHAREWARE OR NOT!

Protected Folder program from IObit is a shareware software, period.

THREAD CLOSED.

Archived