IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

False positive suspected of trashing Windows P.C

radioman2

A while ago I ran Deep scan using ASC 4 after this my desktop P.C failed to boot for the first time ever and after trying to boot into safe mode I ended up having to reinstall my Operating system.I am now very wary as I don't want this happen again but I am also rather alarmed to see that when the disc scan/repair part of the deep scan is reached I keep getting the same error message:

Windows XP

English (United States)

C:\ Volume Label: Local Disk, File System: NTFS

Advanced SystemCare is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

File verification completed.

Advanced SystemCare is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

Deleting index entry TMP00001237EA41C64D7FF26342 in index $I30 of file 72.

Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

The same error message has appeared on six different P.Cs all running Windows XP SP3 and this leads me to suspect there's a fault.I have now disabled the disc scan.

Any thoughts?

Hi radioman2, welcome to Iobit Forum! :grin:

What happens when you run chkdsk /f in an elevated command promt? ie., after restart and when the command runs before the start of windows.

Cheers.

When I ran it recently Windows found no errors and then started normally.When I had problems and had to reinstall Windows I tried to run chkdsk and it set about renumbering tens of thousands of files and that's when I was unable to do anything but reinstall.Many of the files were still there as I reinstalled on a new hard drive but some were clearly stuffed as I couldn't open them when I used the drive as a slave.Thankfully I had a backup but that didn't save me hours of reloading all the updates and software.

Archived