IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defragmenting "deleted" my D-drive

HRude

While defragmenting the D drive (where ale my documents, music and photos are), the computer totally froze, and I could do nothing else than forcing a restart. After restarting I can see my D, but it is empty! Windows tells that it is unformatted, and asks for a formatting. My C and D drive is on the same harddisk.

How do I get my files back?

Hi HRude, welcome to IObit Forum! :grin:

Forcing a restart during defragmentation should not be performed. It is like power off during defragmentation and may corrupt the the disk in question.

Try chkdsk /R for D: first, if it doesn't help try to restore by System Restore to an earlier state (Hopefully system protection was on for D:\).

Click Start button=> click Run...=>type cmd=>click OK button=>Command Prompt window will be opened=>type chkdsk D: /R in the window=>Enter=>wait for it to finish. (If it is system drive answer the question by typing Y=>Enter=>close window=>restart Windows=>wait PC to finish the checkdisk process (will take more than 1 hour)=>Windows will be automatically started).

If you are not familiar with command prompt window for check disk, try the following:

Click Start, then Computer. Right-click on your hard drive's name (D: for example) and click on Properties in the resulting dialogue. Click on the Tools tab and you will see a "check disk for errors" button. Click it and check the "automatically fix errors" box. If you have lots of time, also check the "check disk for bad sectors" box, otherwise leave it unchecked. Click OK wait while Windows scans your entire drive and repairs errors in file headers as best it can. Please note that it can take more than an hour on black screen.

If both doesn't work, search for recovery software in the web to recover your files such as Inspector File Recovery or TOKIWA's Data Recovery which are free.

Also, if you have another PC available, you can try making your hard drive (from your Intel Pentium 4, 3,2GHz PC) as a slave temporarly in the other PC and try recovering the files.

Cheers.

Thank You!

Thank you for your help! I have tried suggestion one and two but it didn't change anything to do a system restore. Also when I try to find the D-drive in Command Prompt, it writes: "Data error. (Cyclic Redundancy Check)" Now I'll try your last proposal.

Archived