IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How Optimize really works?

Hi there,

always I read in optimized mode Smart Defrag will sort/defrag files by most frequent access. So my question is how it detects the frequency of access ?

Does Smart Defrag only shows for the last access written by OS ?

As far as I know there is no MS-OS which has any service to detect and write the frequency of file access. This means Smart Defrag has to use an own service, but I could not see any independet service for this action. Do I need to run Smart Defrag always as my computer is running to guaranty the functionality of Smart Defrag ?

How it really works? Some explanations how the algorithm really works would be useful ..

Thanks in advance !

The problem is there is no information about how often a file got accessed ..

Smart Defrag needs to monitor the frequency of file accesses by itself, but it seems to be Smart Defrag does not have any service for monitoring frequency of file accesses.

For example Diskeeper '08 install its own service for monitoring the frequency of file access, because MS-OS never had such a service.

This fact results in the problem that there are two options.

First Smart Defrag has its own "secret" service (I do not believe in this, because there is no process running in background),

or second Smart Defrag does not sort by frequency of file access, but only for last file access, which makes an enormous difference !

An official feedback about this would be suitable.

Hi Suppenkoch,

This is not an official feedback, but will you please guide me to where it is mentioned about "most frequent access", as you mentioned in your first post. (I can not remember where it is!)

As far as I remember, IObit mentions about the organization of files by their creation and modified dates. (please see this post in Think about Defragmentation!!! thread.)

I will be giving my interpretation of what SmartDefrag is doing when it Defrags & Optimizes (Smart Defragment) in the above mentioned thread soon.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

So what happens when you speed up your PC by doing stopping things you dont need - like the index service, time stamp and other internals that take up resource time? Will this effect how the defrag spots heavily used items?

These are well documented tweaks and most work very well indeed.

BTW: if anyone is interested, this is only one site:

http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx

M

Archived