IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How do I permanently delete items from shredder?

patthedog

I have regularly used the shredder to delete items from the recycle bin (using 1 simple overwrite).

I have regularly deleted the recycle bin in dos with the command rd /r /q C:$\Recycle.bin.

However in the undelete option (right click recycle bin on my desktop), I have c. 20000 files available to be restored.

I do not want them and I thought they were deleted from my machine already.

Please help!

hi

if for some reason this is not working well (shredding) though it should I would of thought?

try this:

A de-fragmentation OF the drive..what this will do is over right the files

works for me .why I say that I do not like using the shredding any sort.

any how try it .

Mr Bean

Oh yes a other thing Make sure the drive is not In read mode .just check the properties.

what I mean protected mode.

How do I permanently delete items from shredder?

thanks for your help. I tried restoring some of these files and they restored successfully. Thinking about things I am actually not sure if they were all shredded. it is just that they appear in the IOBIT undelete files right clicking recycle bin.

I regularly defrag the drive using smart defrag but this seems to not overwrite the files as you suggested. Combined with the fact that I regularly empty c:\$Recycle.bin, that is why I surprised they are still there.

Smart defrag shows that c. 50% of my used space on c drive is unmovable (black colour). - I have a 129gb partition, free space 77gb. of 129GB disk size. (i.e. c. 50% of the 129-77gb is unmovable. Would this be about right for me running vista?

I am not very good at user permssions, but the properties for my administrator account show modify, read & execute, list folder contents, read and write.

for my limited user account permissions are, read & execute, list folder contents and read (not write). normally i run the cleaning, defragging from my limited user account but elevate the procedure to administrator.

Also many of these files could have been deleted after i restored a backup up to my separate partition d: after I had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows.

Which leads me to think it could be something to do with user permissions from my restored backup files which is causing the IOBIT software to not allow the data to be overwritten. - i.e is it normal that 50%(26GB) of my used space is unmovable on a vista machine with office and other programs ?

Any more ideas, it is a big puzzle as to why they are still there. I have no reason to believe that my c drive is protected as you mention.

Thanks for your help.

Hi patthedog

Regarding black blocks, let's see if we can find a plausible explanation.

First you have a bit more than 40% used space.

Do you save very many restore points? For example do you go with the standard 12% of your drive for the Windows System Restore points?

This alone would account for almost 60% of of your used space being black.

So if you save a lot of restore points in other applications too I would not be surprised that about half of your used space is seen as unmovable.

Cheers

solbjerg

thanks for your help. I tried restoring some of these files and they restored successfully. Thinking about things I am actually not sure if they were all shredded. it is just that they appear in the IOBIT undelete files right clicking recycle bin.

I regularly defrag the drive using smart defrag but this seems to not overwrite the files as you suggested. Combined with the fact that I regularly empty c:\$Recycle.bin, that is why I surprised they are still there.

Smart defrag shows that c. 50% of my used space on c drive is unmovable (black colour). - I have a 129gb partition, free space 77gb. of 129GB disk size. (i.e. c. 50% of the 129-77gb is unmovable. Would this be about right for me running vista?

I am not very good at user permssions, but the properties for my administrator account show modify, read & execute, list folder contents, read and write.

for my limited user account permissions are, read & execute, list folder contents and read (not write). normally i run the cleaning, defragging from my limited user account but elevate the procedure to administrator.

Also many of these files could have been deleted after i restored a backup up to my separate partition d: after I had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows.

Which leads me to think it could be something to do with user permissions from my restored backup files which is causing the IOBIT software to not allow the data to be overwritten. - i.e is it normal that 50%(26GB) of my used space is unmovable on a vista machine with office and other programs ?

Any more ideas, it is a big puzzle as to why they are still there. I have no reason to believe that my c drive is protected as you mention.

Thanks for your help.

restoring some of these files and they restored successfully"""

YES if thy are there Thy would, and not what you want is it.

I have regularly deleted the recycle Bin

This has Me tossed as well -I would of thought that using a shredder That IT would Over right the files Not wanted!

As we are talking the Reclining Bin -- I just spent 3 hours today trying to find a answer to this,myself as to why the files are not Shredded of the drive ,Permanently. we know that a simple emptying Should rid them from view,but I assume-you want them wiped?

hence using the shredding application.. Problem lays here as well It used to loosely ,A shredder destroys all evidence of Files written to the drive,(nonrecoverable.permently!)

ok

1 are (IS) the the bin emptied when you exe the command? permanently delete?

2 or using the shredder emptied? (I think You say NO)( No idea WHY)

The drive is Not In protected Mode? we got that point (read and Write Allowed.) Vista is not Blocking this From Happening?

I just For the Very Fist time used a shredder to wipe my recycle bin and securely wipe it (normally never Do this) IS case of restore And No problems every thing is gone (when I say I don't Ccleaner takes care of That for Me,or Iobit Application Do that when running.

ok there is something very wrong on your system preventing the emptying of that folder,The recycle Bin.even by the Ms command Only Should make room to over write the underling files...wiping, as you know ,should destroy them permanently..

so we need some info as to whats running and whats being used.Perhaps a virus and Something Stopping this ?

This brings to my Mind 5 years Back I had a similar Problem when ridding a bunch of files, thy be put back at the next reboot drove me silly.and the same happen to the recycle- bin the same ones re showed . ended it was a virus.ROUGE WARE.

So what I suggest is This Could Be happening to You As well you may? have a exe application hidden that rewrites at booting .or prevents the recycle bin from emptying..When I say that Something is re Cloning the files or snapshotting and replacing them.??

Mr Bean

Right.. to help you and any one interested try this as well

type in the search box recycle

Wait to find all associated files.

check this if you see any UN-usual things let U S know . IF you so desire?

or you could take action your self.

Its good to know what you are or are not allowed to Do

This is set By default to protect you from mistaking or accidental Erasing Things..

Why we will check here is if any thing is out of the ordinary.. or suspect recycling things

MR BEAN

Hello again.

Thanks for your help. I removed all but the last system restore point which freed up a further 18GB of disk space. I would estimate the "unmovable area" is now about 20-25% of used space, maybe 7Gb in total.

So on the C: drive of 130GB I now have 95GB free, 35GB used space.

I then wiped the free space on the drive with one simple overwrite.

I have run a full virus scan using AVG free but nothing was found.

But the files are still available to "undelete" when right clicking the recycle bin. I enclose a couple of print screen files. They seem to show most files being C:\Unknownfolder\27159\ with lots of z's and .'s.

Other files seem to originally have come from C.\Windows\ then various windows folders and files.

I went though exercises per the thumbnail files. If you look at file3.jpg you can see I have a number of language files, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden. When right clicking the system properties for Norway and Sweden there was another User ID "CREATED BY OWNER". When I double checked this they seemed to have disappeared.

Then I remembered that when I originally got the machine, windows was installed with Norwegian version, so I basically reinstalled Windows in English. I would have thought that the disk would have been re-formatted when installing the English version but maybe that could be part of the answer?

But basically, I feel by looking at the original source path of these files that are available to be "undeleted" that this is to do with me deleting the files from a full backup that I restored when windows crashed.

What happened was the following.

1. Windows crashed and was advised by Microsoft that could reinstall, which I did as I had a full backup.

2. When reinstalling Windows I also created a separate partition on the disk D: drive.

3. I restored the whole back up to the partition D: and transferred to data files I wanted from D: to my C: drive.

4. I deleted the remaining files from the restored backup from D: to the recycle bin on C: drive.

Given the nature of the files that are available to be "undeleted" I feel that the problem is something to do with the user permissions of the Windows system files / restored back up files - which would presumably be related to the user permissions of the previous installation on this machine.

But having said that, I deleted them from the machine, overwrote the c: drive and deleted C:\$Recycle.bin.

NB: I have tested the shredder and deleted some items with it and they were not available to be undeleted.

So it's still a mystery to me.

Given the nature of the files that are available to be "undeleted" I feel that the problem is something to do with the user permissions of the Windows system files / restored back up files - which would presumably be related to the user permissions of the previous installation on this machine.

I don't know but my guess it should not make a difference ,if wanting to destroy them.

a shredding application will(should) kill of any thing or file data what ever is on a drive I have yet to in-counter one that will not .

though your one is not working hence your posting on it

I am interested as to why not.

C:\Unknownfolder\27159\ with lots of z's and .'s.

well I be looking to rid this .its ether corrupted.or locked.or hidden.or has a virus. or rouge ,Zzz and SSS .Well, never seen this,sort of files ,but so long as you have a back up image ? Ok the other question

is This folder is it added to?( size) I think I have seen them when using dos 7 win3.1 that some times put this on a drive (corrupted files) that got that way by kicking out of a frozen system but I am not sure,any more it seems familiar.

ok the language files and or swapping this is not a problem nor make any difference to a system whats I am saying is lets say its German and now I want it in English simply tel the Os and swap to English and so on.

Any how ok, what I will do hunt up the net for info on the possible problem some more,unless some one here know what thy represent?

please let us know.

I will be honest and say its now going a little over my head the problem you have is more than I understand fully.

normally emptying a recycle bin or wiping a drive it pretty strait forwards and this means I need help here to Help you.

I could tell you a easy way out redo the drive from scratch and the other one as well(the odd times I use the application eraser. when wiping drives to be sure

that's on a booting cd with XP boot up .) build into it.

but that's not to say its right and then leave you in a wondrous state .as to the problem at hand.or if it could of been fixed.

normally I am the type that who would just format a drive or drives destroying the parathion and restart as if a brand new one ,wipe it and start over,

So lets see what we can find out sorry I cant give you a answer now.but will try my best.

Mr Bean.

Ok thanks.

the reason why I think that these files are something to with the deleted, restored backup files, is the original path listed in the undelete screen I showed you.

C:\Unknownfolder\27159\ with lots of z's and .'s.

I seem to have some memories of seeing these during the restore to d: drive.

Maybe windows backup and restore has some sort of "protection" if windows is restored to a different directory other than c:

Also the number of files available to be restored late last night after finishing all the maintenance was c.20000, now for now apparent reason is has gone up to c.27000 and my used space had increased by 1.3GB for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I know how long it takes to do a clean installation and all the updates etc. etc, so maybe I just live with it!

Thanks for all your help but maybe someone may come up with a simple answer in due course.

was c.20000, now for now apparent reason is has gone up to c.27000 and my used space had increased by 1.3GB for no apparent reason

Yes I was thinking If this was happening You Must have a rouge or Virus

But I think a crook recycling Bin,

This should not happen!even though the Av Cleared you .There Is something Very Wrong.

But hang in there we see what we Come Up With.

Mr Been

Ok lets start here .try this see if this works?

I am guessing If the recycle bin is Crook, That could ex plane the Unknown Folder???? with the zzz and sss?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/131294-recycle-bin-corrupted-cannot-delete-file-folder.html

The read here as well

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1132187271

"Comment from this page."

{{Another from my Tips database:}}

If, when you empty the recycle bin, it still says there are files in it, read on.

Files not being listed in the Recycle Bin seem to be related to a corrupt info2 file.

To correct the issue (Fat32):

Go to Start/Run and type in CMD:

Type CD \RECYCLED, and then press ENTER.

Type ATTRIB -r -s -h info2, and then press ENTER.

Type DEL INFO2, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: This deletes the damaged INFO2 file. Windows will recreate this file as needed,

automatically

For more information, do a Google search on

can't empty recycle bin}}}}

Ok hope it may be useful?

Mr Bean

Think I got the answer!

Basically using another machine with the same software I carried out all the previous tasks with 47Gb free on disk and tiny amount "unmovable".

1. Removed all but latest restore points, which gave me put HDD on 57GB free.

2. Deleted C:$Recycle.bin in DOS using the /r /q command (I actually do not think this had any effect on the free space).

3. Performed and simple 1 pass overwrite of the free space on the drive. There were c. 38000 files that were available be restored by right clicking the recycle bin. After this completed I checked undelete option and there were c 270 files there all with the mysterious C: unknownfolder and a number.

4. The free drive space increased after this to 67GB, so I presume it was the overwrite that freed up this space as opposed to deleteing the recycle.bin directory in dos.

5. Defragged the drive using smart defrag and the amount "unmovable" was tiny, c.2% of used space.

6. After a reboot and a check to see the number of files to be "undeleted" in the recycle bin, the number rose to c. 40000. Using smart defrag the total that was "unmovable" increased to c. 10%.

So basically I conclude that these files are created by overwriting the free space on the drive (showed you a print screen of the files names etc), some sort of reference file left behind by the overwrite process. There are so many files all about 600 bytes each would seem to make sense to me. On reboot it seems as though these files become "unmovable" but do not have any or little effect on drive space.

Bit strange though that they are offered as an option to be restored. NB: I also downloaded another "undelete" software which showed the same results as the IOBIT tool.

I think I leave it at that but over all it seems to make sense based on my latest experiences. But maybe we learned something new!

Thanks Mr. Bean, a great help.

The main thing you are happy with the out come and glad I was of a tiny bit of assistance yes I have also learned a bit myself about recycling bins as to how thy work and a few other things on the way,that was rather new to me as I never gave it a thought in all my years of computing

MR Bean

• 4 months later...

Having same problem. Found over 40,000 files in ASC undelete. Loaded CCleaner and that fixed it. Now I notice the number of files is creeping toward 3,000 ans CCleaner is not successful. Does any one know what files ASC uses to store this info

• 2 weeks later...

How do I permanently delete items from shredder

Download CCleaner.com from MajorGeeks and run Tools, then Drive Wiper on Free Space Only. One pass will be sufficient but 3 is better. You could also try using Mozilla Firefox as it can be configured not to record history.

Archived