IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

I like ASC 5, but there are limitations.

st8kout

Apparently Java exploits are a different animal not covered by ASC 5. Perhaps those in the know already know this, but for an average user like myself I kind of thought ASC was supposed to sniff out things like this. I run it everyday.

I'll take some of the blame for not running Microsoft's Security Essentials often enough. Long story short, I was on microsoft's IE forum asking about some browser issues I was having. They posted various things to try which led to running Security Essentials, which came up with a boatload of 'Severe Exploit' alerts that needed to be removed immediately. All were 'Java/Blacole....' which from what I've read can be really bad and wreck all kinds of havoc. All the while ASC says everything is fine.

Don't get me wrong. ASC is a fine product, but perhaps average users like myself are depending on it just a little too much and need to be aware that it's not covering everything. I know it's a cat-and-mouse game with the bad guys constantly looking for vulnerabilities, and I did wonder why I kept getting a notice from Sun about an update (the exploit must have been keeping the update from downloading/running). I finally did get the update installed but only after MSE removed the exploits.

Hi st8kout... welcome to the Iobit forums!

For security of your system regardless of whatever A/V or anti-malware programs or even firewalls... you must have the newest version of JAVA. It is a common portal for many infections and malwares. You should update your java and remove the older versions of it!!!:shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived