IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC-AV 2013 reduced update?

Hi :)

I have once again installed the latest build 5.63.272 (0806) and after install, connected to internet and did a manual update check. It told me there was an update for ASCAvsvc.exe of 877KB and a database update of 109MB.

It updated, informed me it was finished, and I went to check the "Plugins" folder under Antivirus that contains the BD definitions, and to my surprise it showed a total of 136MB?

This is approx. 160MB LESS than previous fresh update after install. Just the other day when I was testing this, the "Plugins folder showed a size of 291MB after the first update after install...now today, it stated it is up to date, yet the "Plugins" folder is sitting at 136MB total.

What has changed in regards to update size? Current BD definitions are approx. 292MB.

It also appears Windows 7 action center after restart, did NOT complain that ASCAV was "turned off" which is good! :)

But...Please advise as to what has changed concerning the size of update files. This is NOT a complete definition update.

Edit: After several manual update attempts, (because autoupdate seems to only run every 6 hours?) it showed an update

of 13.37MB. This turns out NOW to fully show 293MB within the "Plugins" folder instead of the earlier figure showing 136MB and ASC-AV saying it was updated and then saying there were no other updates. Apparently there were more. I sure wish I could know what to do with this, I am looking for paid solution, but 3 times testing and so far inconsistencies with updating make no sense to me. Autoupdate appears to only connect to check every 6 hours? Now it appears fully up to date, Please advise as to what happened with earlier update saying it was complete, now it is confirmed it was NOT complete, and finally downloaded additional 13.37MB which brings Plugins folder to 293MB after showing size of 136MB. Can update feature be trusted, or are there server problems?...thank you for any help. P.S. Upon further review my first update mentioned earlier did not actually finish, many of the files within Plugins folder had .UPD extension, now all files within folder have proper extensions, due to finally finishing. Autoupdate.log shows updates finally "installed" after manual update, but showing earlier it was fully up to date. i am confused because technically, it was never finished updating from first try after install, though it told me it was. The database size is NOW proper, but no clue as to what happened and why i was told it was updated earlier, with less than half of the full database.

Thank you!

All my best!

Jim

Hi Jim1cor13! I am glad you have decided to hang around for a bit!

Think of it as if still in beta... then this post becomes very strong.:-)

Edit: After several manual update attempts, (because autoupdate seems to only run every 6 hours?) it showed an update

of 13.37MB. This turns out NOW to fully show 293MB within the "Plugins" folder instead of the earlier figure showing 136MB and ASC-AV saying it was updated and then saying there were no other updates. Apparently there were more. I sure wish I could know what to do with this, I am looking for paid solution, but 3 times testing and so far inconsistencies with updating make no sense to me. Autoupdate appears to only connect to check every 6 hours? Now it appears fully up to date, Please advise as to what happened with earlier update saying it was complete, now it is confirmed it was NOT complete, and finally downloaded additional 13.37MB which brings Plugins folder to 293MB after showing size of 136MB. Can update feature be trusted, or are there server problems?...thank you for any help. P.S. Upon further review my first update mentioned earlier did not actually finish, many of the files within Plugins folder had .UPD extension, now all files within folder have proper extensions, due to finally finishing. Autoupdate.log shows updates finally "installed" after manual update, but showing earlier it was fully up to date. i am confused because technically, it was never finished updating from first try after install, though it told me it was. The database size is NOW proper, but no clue as to what happened and why i was told it was updated earlier, with less than half of the full database.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Think of it as if still in beta... then this post becomes very strong.:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thank you Mel :) It is a head scratcher for me...as I have been reviewing the Autoupdatelog file and it appears if one checks manually for an update between 0 - 60 minutes, it will not query the server for an update. I can understand this to a degree. Also, autoupdate it appears only checks about every 6 hours which I think is too long, maybe every 2 hours would be better. I am trying to figure it out, reviewing the logs.

I was not aware it was still technically a "Beta", so in this regards it makes sense. I really like it, but it appears the weakest part is still the update feature and how it is communicating with update server, with the log showing refusal to query server even on manual update checks.

It becomes a trust factor after this being the third time I test this suite. I like it very much, but not sure about the trust factor. I do hope things get sorted out, but update features must work properly to know we have latest signatures.

Thanks again for your comment. I am hoping for the best, and I want to be a customer when I can trust the application. I truly want this solution to succeed! :)

All my best!

Jim

Hi Jim.

I only said:

Think of it as if still in beta.

Give it some time. This is the kind of feedback that will make a difference in future versions.

the weakest part is still the update feature and how it is communicating with update server

Agreed that it is an interesting partnership between Bitremover and ASC.

I do hope things get sorted out, but update features must work properly to know we have latest signatures.

Yes I too want to be a customer!

Please keep watching Jim.:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived