IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

need some basic "how to" for Defrag

Just downloaded SmartDefrag and I'm at a loss how to use it. Can't seem to find a "basic" how-to thread (hopefully I didn't overlook one already on here).

Wondering if someone would be kind enuf to help answer the following...

I did a basic defrag, not the defrag & optimize. I guess I chose not to optimize as well because I don't understand the difference and am concerned I might run into some kind of problem I won't be able to fix or understand.

I want to turn off the Auto Defrag. Reason: I'm thinking it's taking up resources as it's running in the background. I'd rather just do a defrag when I'm ready to do so. Can it be turned off? Is my thinking wrong about using up resources?

I see there is a checkbox option to turn the computer off after defrag. I haven't checkmarked it. What I'd like to know: is it necessary to restart or turn off after a defrag?

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide. (or, direct me to link to thread already on here that answers all this)

Hi angelheart,

basic defrag

The difference with Defrag & Optimize is that, it only defragments the fragmented files, where the D&O places the files as described in post #31 of this thread. Don't be concerned, you can use it safely.

Auto Defrag

It can be turned off if you uncheck the checkbox of "Enable Auto Defrag" under "Settings" in "Options" section.

You can adjust when to auto-defrag by sliding manually for pausing of Auto Defrag according to resource usage or/and according to idle time of the PC at the same section. So, SD will use resources when they are available.

Checkbox of PC turn off

No, it is not necessary, but it gives you an option to turn the PC off after the defragmentation takes quite a long time in the first run of Defrag & Optimize mode.

You can use it leaving the PC to be defrag & optimized at night and go to bed.:mrgreen:

I would advice to you to read as much posts as possibe about defragmentation in this Forum.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Archived