IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

memory lane

solbjerg

Hi

The posts about crapware and bloatware made me think about sliding into economic maximizing. Without giving much thought to the downside of this trend.

In 1997 Microsoft offered an Office version that had Microsoft Bookshelf Basic in it. The program was intended to run with the cd inserted, but I copied it and installed it on my computer and have used it ever since in the following OS versions.

The point here being that it wasn't rammed down our throats.

My girlfriend bought a new computer in 2009, it had OS windows 7 and as an offer had Office 10 to use for a month.

She wanted me to install Office 2000 on this computer too while that was the program she had a cd for.

It was impossible to do without cleaning the the computer of all traces of Office 10 - which I consequently did.

It was quite a job - and this made me a bit irritated.

Lately almost every program have bloatware that have to be unticked.

I wonder how much it would cost to change this practice to having to tick the piggy-back program to choose it instead of having it pre-ticked?

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, IMO Iobit is the king of installing junkware is a very deceptive way. Normally when a software provider bundles additional programs with a free download, it is pretty clear what to uncheck to stop the additional installation.

Iobit has taken this to a whole new lever by purposely deceiving the additional installations to the point even an experienced user had trouble identifying them.

Don't get me wrong, I love Iobit software. I just hate this practice.

Hi masterblaster and sunny

As you probaly discern I do not like the current trend, but if the earnings are great enough, no matter what we say will not help.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, IMO Iobit is the king of installing junkware is a very deceptive way. Normally when a software provider bundles additional programs with a free download, it is pretty clear what to uncheck to stop the additional installation.

Iobit has taken this to a whole new lever by purposely deceiving the additional installations to the point even an experienced user had trouble identifying them.

• 4 weeks later...
Lately almost every program have bloatware that have to be unticked.

This is true. Even softwares that are well recognized are doing this. Maybe for the sake of advertising? I think they also get a small portion of earnings when users missed to untick it and install the trial version. I guess they're just taking full advantage that there's no written law about this yet. icon_smile.gif

memory lane

This corporate "networking" trend began decades ago -- AOL may have been the 1st with Norton then McAfee. <gag to both>

I was sorry to see IObit joining the trend; however, accustomed to seeing it elsewhere (esp when it was Norton), unticking the ads while grinding my teeth and having my time wasted doing so, eliminated the problem.

In defense of IObit, there IS an explicit warning on the Forum to untick what isn't wanted.

I, too, wish IObit would stop this. We have such great support on the Forum that anyone with a question about how best to protect their systems, is answered readily -with trusted expertise- and alternatives are offered with expert opinions (pro's and con's) of each program. THAT, in my humble opinion, is PRICELESS!

Writer JC's 2-cents

• 4 months later...

Hello! Just surfing the forum and found this. I would like to add Amen. There is no need for this behavior from IObit. It is one reason I have stopped posting here on the forum.:evil: I hope those that have ears hear this and chance their ways.:smile: This is not a good practice and will turn the faithful off.

Archived