IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unwanted changes!!

fredanden

Several days ago I purchased, downloaded and installed AWC PRO after using the freebies for some time.

I had no installation problems, but I quickly noticed some windows system/desktop/interface changes. Several minor color changes in the Start Menu/Program area. But that was livable compared to an annoying

Computer Unlock Prompt window when going from Standby back to active computer use.

While dealing with this screen was only annoying, I think most here would agree that they don't care for changes to their computer that they don't make themselves.

One other problem I noted was that I was not able to access the windows help area while the program was loaded.

I went back to a restore point earlier than the installation and the problems disappeared.

Any ideas on installing PRO without unwanted desktop or interface changes.

I use XP and on original installation went with the "entertainment" choice for computer type.

Thanks

One of the functions of the system analysis is to find things such as un-needed services or visual "eye candy" that are always running on your computer that may slow the system down. AWC may shut some of these of to optimize the computer. With the pro version you can optimize the computer more customized as to how you use it. But not every computer is used the same or has the same programs, so you might have to customize it a bit.

If you do a scan and repair with AWC and you find it shuts off something that you want to stay on (such as "help"), go to the restore center at the top of the program and click on the last backup and restore it (shouldn't have to do system restore). The next time you run it, look by "system analysis" and click on "see details". It will show you what services or other (visual effects, ect.) it is recommending to repair. Look for entry such as "help service" then select it and right clik, then select "ignore". Then re-scan. Each time it scans it will then ignore this setting and leave it alone (I didn't like the help service turned of either). Once you have done this it will optimize more to your tastes.

Hope this helps.

samr.

thanks for your reply and ideas to try.

I re-installed and ticked off "Daily use" for computer type

and the only change I have seen now is a color difference in the start menu when highlighting the different sections; change from dark blue to black. I was able to change that manually.

I dont see a problem with the windows help area or the computer unlock

window now. whew!

Let me ask a further question:

would the number of changes/alterations be connected with the selection of "computer type"?

This install I picked "Daily use" rather than "Entertainment" or higher?

thanks

Hi fredanden,

Yes it does make a difference. AWC will optimize the computer differently depending on what "computer type" you select, turning on and off different things. However, as I said before you can tell it to "ignore"

whatever you don't want it to change. I use "top performance" but I do have it ignore the help service and a few other settings and it works great for me. I don't really care about some of the visual effects being turned off (like the 3D look of the shadow under the mouse pointer,ect.) It more than makes up for it with system performance.

Also, you don't have to re-install to change computer type. Just select "computer type" on the program and choose which setting you want it to optimize for. It will optimize for that setting on the next scan. If it doesn't work best for you, try another setting next time. The daily use setting will make the fewest changes, but also will probably be the slowest in computer performance. It is also the most compatible setting with some software.

As I said before, you might want to experiment and customize somewhat to make it work best for you. Also, if you go to restore center and click settings, you can select what areas of the scan to include in the backup. You can restore the backups there if you would happen to run in to a problem.

samr.

Archived