IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

move folders or files to slower position of HDD

mr.web, as far as I know, it is only possible with a defrag program called Ultimate Defrag. You can find it with a Google search.

See the 2nd image in post#1 of this thread. A virtual drive is placed in the inner circle (Achive, slower part) of the disk by that defragmenter program.

Cheers.

mr.web, there ia a free version and a paid version of Ultimate Defrag. The paid version will allow you to allocate files for "High Performance" and also to allocate files for "Archiving". The high performance files are placed at the outer track of your HDD (fastest) and the archived files are placed on the inner tracks. I have tested Ultimate Defrag (both free and paid) for a few months now and have come to a conclusion. If you have extreme amounts of Data such as on a server, then perhaps Ultimate Defrag would be good, but for a normal Home PC, Ultimate Defrag is way overkill. Even Disktrix, the developer of UD states that most users would benefit the most using the "Auto" feature of the program. I can tell you that it is possible to spend days and days trying to configure UD to determine what files should be "high performance" and what should be archived. For instance, you can allocate all "DLL" files for high performance and all "ZIP" files to be archived. The bottom line on all this is that we are talking "Mille-seconds" speed improvements for a Home PC. It has been my experience that a good defragment AND optimize program is all a Home PC needs. Let me put it this way: with Ultimate Defrag, I have scheduled every day to simply defragment. Every other day to defragment by "Consolidation", and once a week to defrag by "File and Folder Name". I see NO speed difference after doing all this with UD than I do with simply running Smart Defrag's "Defrag and Optimize"---and trust me on this---Smart Degrag is MUCH easier to use. So, I now use only Smart Defrag and occasionally I use the free version which I found of Paragon Partition Manager. Paragon has a boot-time defrag and also an MFT defrag option, which very, very few programs offer. In the event my Page file gets split up, I use the free Pagedfrg developed by Mark Rusinovich of Sysinternals (which is now part of Microsoft). It works perfectly. Anyway, if you are like me, go ahead and try Ultimate Defrag but you must use the paid version to get the benefits you are asking for. Disktrix will NOT answer any tech questions for their free version. Eventually I think you will find that a good and easy to use program like Smart Defrag works just as well. For years I used Diskeeper and Vopt, then I used O&O and PerfectDisk. I've used the "Defragler" program and the free Auslogics program and I've used a myriad of others. As I stated in another Post, my favorite feature of Smart Defrag is a personal one. If I want, I can start the defrag and optimize running-----and go to bed! Smart Defrag will shut down my system when it is finished. This is what I have started doing. After a long day of PC use, every night I set the Smart Defrag program to do its thing and then shut down my System. When I awake the next morning--I am good to go for another day. Sometimes SIMPLE is BEST!

Nail on the Head

Hi warpete-After the full two weeks of testing Ultimate Defrag,I couldn't agree more.I tried everything-performance,archiving,even selective file placement.I found no mind bending gain in speed at all.It takes nearly all of the two weeks just to explore UD's capabilities.If you choose archiving,you're then pretty much tied to that utility,as the rest I've tried move all files outward.The only intriguing feature I found was the ability to defrag individual files and folders with the "highlight"feature-still,no big gain there either.The GUI is outstanding,but the utility in my opinion does not warrant the price tag regardless of how attractively they've packaged it.Thanks for the post,as I will now be able to check out the PPM utility that I had no idea existed.Happy holidays and keep those reviews coming!

Archived