IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defragging with Windows and Ubuntu

Nothing specific,but.......

Hi ballensr-Could you clarify"inside of"?Normally Win and Ubuntu run as a dual boot system.Since,as I'm sure you know,a Linux base OS does not require defrag,(and you would be hard pressed to find a third party utility with that capability),my guess is you're safe.In looking around,I did come up with this-also,in that,check out the forth section,and the link ending"#FRAGMENTATION". You can also Google "defrag Ubuntu" for hours of reading on the subject. :shock:

Installing Ubuntu

Ubuntu permits three methods of operating Ubuntu: (1) starting with the Ubuntu DVD which loads Ubunutu into the RAM only; (2) installing Ubuntu in a partition of the hard drive dedicated to Ubuntu; or (2) installing Ubuntu within Windows.

This last version is what I have, which is the reason for my question. My concern is about whether IOBit's Smart Defrag is safe to defrag Windows with Ubuntu installed within Windows.

Thanks for your response,

WDA

end

• 1 year later...

same dillema here

I have exactly the same dilemma. It's a WUBI installation. The Ubuntu is inside the same drive as Windows and Windows sees it as an installed program (as installation is done in Windows) while Ubuntu recognizes itself as having its own partition.

I also want to maintain both OS but in need of sore defragging. It is my concern that the defragging might damage the Ubuntu.

Archived