IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Avira question

Ted

I have just installed Avira and at every bootup I get the "Your computer may be at risk because Avira is switched off" warning. ( or words to that affect ). This only shows for about a second before Avira starts. To my way of thinking, Windows Security Centre is displaying this warning message prematurely. How can I resolve this?

Avira Free

Hi Ted-got the link for the slash screen removal-thanks a bunch.Now if those silly Germans could only replace that stupid umbrella with a PO8 Luger,then I'd have a desktop icon to admire!Regarding the warning,I'm not sure because I've never had that problem-my Windows firewall is still turned on along with my Webroot firewall-you have Avira set to run at start I'm assuming,and it does take about five seconds for my umbrella to pop open-or rather did because I have mine set not to open on the task bar-reserved that for Webroot as the firewall is a little slow to start.Also,have you gone into the expert settings mode and loaded that thing for bear?Here's something,and don't laugh at the analogy,but.after you run Avira full scan and you're clean,do this-beak out one of your other maleware/spyware apps. and run a full scan(go with SAS and MWB)-while one of those is scanning,Avira may register further detections!I have seen this more than once and on more than one PC-here's where the silly analogy comes in:it's like you're in the kitchen stirring a big pot of soup and Avira is watching the pot,all of the sudden,a chunk of meat with a gob of fat comes to the top,and Avira screams"get that out of there"I have no idea why this happens but I've seen it,up to five detections!So,when you get time,try that "double scan"method-don't have Avira scanning,just running while the other app. scans-that's it for the weird facts today

Hi, detailer,

Thank you for those tips, I'll try them out sometime.

Glad the Splash Screen fix worked for you. My Avira Updated this morning and no Nag Screen showed, so that mod works too.

I've configured Avira according to these settings, do you agree with them?

http://tanaya.net/AntiVir/

BTW. I see that Avira's priority setting in Task Manager is "Normal". Would it help to set it higher, perhaps?

Avira Free

Hi Ted-No need to set that higher-unless you want it to scan faster while using other programs-you can open and run it with the ASC "boost"through the right click-just thought of this-I haven't disabled my splash yet,so maybe that's why you get the delay on opening-probably doesn't like to be messed with-your settings look like mine(funny,I never saw that tutorial-just lucked out)Just keep an eye on it for a couple days to make sure it gets it's updates(have mine set for a time I know I'll be on to verify)after that you can always check the log in case you adjust firewall or add security or anything that might prevent it from net connection-I think it will serve you well-it has me-enjoy!

Here's something else:

Every time I reboot, Avira displays a message saying that it hasn't been updated for a day, but when I click to Update I'm told It's up to date.

yes. i believe its a problem with comodo firewall. i got it before. you have it on your computer? it doesnt happen anymore. try updating your firewall.

Hi, vman,

Thank you for that link, but hopefully I may not need it now. When I booted up this morning no "Your Computer May be at Risk" warning bubble appeared and Avira updated successfully. See attachment with all boxes ticked. Perhaps I'm too impatient.

One question: Avast updates automatically every day without asking permission, but Avira asks first before updating. Is this normal?

Hi, detailer,

I'm still having this intermittent automatic update problem and have checked out the Avira forum and checked all the fixes suggested by various helpers. I can update manually, though.

Would you mind checking your Avira Config > General > Update > Web Server > Proxy and see what yours is set to. Mine was set to "Use Windows system settings" and I've now changed to "Do not use a Proxy server".

Hi, all,

I've given up on Avira. I've un-installed it and re-installed my old faithful Avast.

No more security warning messages displayed now while waiting for Avira to open its umbrella and no more having to make frequent manual updates. Besides this, Avast scans my incoming E-mail and outgoing too if required and I can also schedule a boot-scan.

I like Avira's interface and its ease of configuration, but for peace of mind, I'll stick with Avast.

Hi, detailer,

thank you for that link.

No need for apologies as far as Avira is concerned. It just wasn't for me.

No problems so far with the new Beta FF. Actually, I'm just learning to use it and trying to configure the NoScript addon.

Did you register with WOT so you could enter your own security assessments of a particular site?

Avast hasn't affected my close-down time, so IE must have been the culprit.

I installed Opera and Google Chrome too. I still prefer FF, though.

Archived