IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Shortcut Fixer - question re use of to delete *.lnk files!

necmac

Newbie to ASC here wondering if the removal of 132 *.lnk files identified by "shortcut fixer" would be dangerous in any way. Also, any ideas why any computer would generate so many of these type files. Thanks for any replies and for allowing me to try this program ... looks like I will upgrade to "Pro" very soon:smile:!

Hi necmac

The shortcuts it fixes (deletes) are shortcut that points to files that are no longer there, they can be either moved or deleted, so the shortcut has no function anymore. Should you encounter a shortcut somewhere while browsing your computer and click on it, a dialog box will come up and say that it can't find the file in the location specified by the shortcut - and then ask you if you want it deleted. It is essentially the same that happens when you run the Shortcut Fix, - only it doesn't take as long as it would do, if you had to click on all shortcuts by hand in the whole computer.

So no worries mate!

Cheers

solbjerg

Newbie to ASC here wondering if the removal of 132 *.lnk files identified by "shortcut fixer" would be dangerous in any way. Also, any ideas why any computer would generate so many of these type files. Thanks for any replies and for allowing me to try this program ... looks like I will upgrade to "Pro" very soon:smile:!

But how do you restore the shortcuts BACK once the shortcut fixer has deleted them ??? The program restore option is NOT WORKING.

Now half of the stuff in my start menu are missing and this is really annoying to say the least. I assumed the program restore function would offer to restore back those files but i see that isn't the case. Not nice that you don't get warned.

Hello dontlike

Please tell me that you checked the results before deleting, - and also why they aren't in your waste bin?

What version do you use? Did you do a clean install or did you install on top of the previous version - in the same folder?

Cheers

solbjerg

But how do you restore the shortcuts BACK once the shortcut fixer has deleted them ??? The program restore option is NOT WORKING.

Now half of the stuff in my start menu are missing and this is really annoying to say the least. I assumed the program restore function would offer to restore back those files but i see that isn't the case. Not nice that you don't get warned.

hi sanddee

You should confine your post to the relevant place, please!

Have answered your question under smartDefrag general questions.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, I am new here and can't to figure out how to make a new post or where I should put this question. I just downloaded Smart defrag and everytime I go to start a scan it says idle. Can you tell me what I am doing wong or if I have a program that is blocking it from working?

Hello dontlike

Please tell me that you checked the results before deleting, - and also why they aren't in your waste bin?

What version do you use? Did you do a clean install or did you install on top of the previous version - in the same folder?

Cheers

solbjerg

No not all of them, the list was huge, i assumed they will be backed up if i delete them. Obviously that was not the case.

What i don't understand is why it detected shortcuts from the start menu like command prompt, system restore, backup center etc. as broken when obviously they aren't...

Hi dontlike

The extra function short-cut fixer asks you if you really want to delete them to the recycle bin, - so you must have deleted them from there too.

If you have installed, uninstalled or moved folders/files for a long time - the list will be huge.

But it is weird that the function should delete valid short-cuts, this should not be possible.

Are you sure it is this function that has done the "damage" - did you check all your "problems" in the cleaning scan before repair?

Cheers

solbjerg

No not all of them, the list was huge, i assumed they will be backed up if i delete them. Obviously that was not the case.

What i don't understand is why it detected shortcuts from the start menu like command prompt, system restore, backup center etc. as broken when obviously they aren't...

Yep it was definetly the shortcut fixer that deleted those valid shortcuts. Perhaps the shortcut fixer isn't entirely 64 bit compatible(Vista x64 here) is what i am thinking here. Some of the shortcuts it deleted from the start menu that i remember were: CCleaner, Command Prompt, Windows Defrag, some Adobe programs(partially, like it left the 32bit PS shortcut but got rid off the 64bit one), Backup and Restore, Migration Wizard, System Restore, Task Scheduler etc etc. There were many many more but these are the ones i remember right now. I wouldn't call those unnecesary or broken by any means.

The problem is that i ran the shortcut fixer and after that a scan and repair with ASC which emptied the recycle bin. I had System Restore disabled(don't remember why nor how it got disabled, thought it was on) so that was of no help aswell. So in the end i mounted my last week's backup image i have of the system drive and just copied over the shortcuts from the backup. Thank god i do weekly backups.

So i solved my problem but the question still remains as to why ASC thought those shortcuts were broken ...

And now when i have this fixed and back to the original state i re-ran the shortcut fixer and it found 168 items. This time though i went through the whole list and all of the items are perfectly valid. The shortcut fixer doesn't seem to work well on Vista x64 it would appear.

Here's a screen:

http://www.shrani.si/t/3s/Ao/Lrr91F4/shortcuts.jpg

problem vista x64/short-cut fixer!

Hi dontlike

Yes it seems like it has something to do with the 64bit.

ASC should be Vista x64 compatible, but perhaps some of the extra tools isn't?

From what you are saying it looks that way.

I think Krissy will forward the problem to the experts.

Good thing you spotted it and were able to restore!

Cheers

solbjerg

Yep it was definetly the shortcut fixer that deleted those valid shortcuts. Perhaps the shortcut fixer isn't entirely 64 bit compatible(Vista x64 here) is what i am thinking here. Some of the shortcuts it deleted from the start menu that i remember were: CCleaner, Command Prompt, Windows Defrag, some Adobe programs(partially, like it left the 32bit PS shortcut but got rid off the 64bit one), Backup and Restore, Migration Wizard, System Restore, Task Scheduler etc etc. There were many many more but these are the ones i remember right now. I wouldn't call those unnecesary or broken by any means.

The problem is that i ran the shortcut fixer and after that a scan and repair with ASC which emptied the recycle bin. I had System Restore disabled(don't remember why nor how it got disabled, thought it was on) so that was of no help aswell. So in the end i mounted my last week's backup image i have of the system drive and just copied over the shortcuts from the backup. Thank god i do weekly backups.

So i solved my problem but the question still remains as to why ASC thought those shortcuts were broken ...

• 4 months later...

Shortcut cannibal...

There are some glitches with ASC on the x64 bit Vista system. I had the same issue (and still do) with the shortcut "fixer"/nixer" It will delete random shortcuts, even those off the start menu.

I would include a good screen shot of my desktop taken right after running the shortcut fixer. You'd notice not just the ones missing on the desktop but deleted Word, Exl, IE8, and a few Admin tools off Start Menu (NOT HAPPY, SINCE I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 7 BETA AND NEED THEM)

You will need to take into account that Vista packs more copies of duplicate files than my wife has shoes, but when a button shows "repair" it shouldnt mean delete.

Perhaps just spreading the buttons out on the shortcut fixer would avoid accidently hitting the wrong button. Or you might even re-name the "REPAIR" button to "DELETE-ALL"

Archived