IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Indexing Service

Just attempted my first run of SD manual fast optimize and after watching estimated completion times over 24 hours on 60GB of tight storage I knew something was wrong. I watched the estimated completion time change through many estimates all around 24 hours and saw no GUI activity??? Discovered after a bit of logic that the Windows Indexing Service might be the culprit - I usually leave it disabled for normal operation. After setting the Indexing Service to Automatic and starting it in mmc, all SD operations proceeded normally and about 250,000 files and folders are in process of being rearranged. The estimate is about 2 hours now and the drive is very busy. I was unable to find any mention of the Windows Indexing Service need here so here is my first contribution to the forum....KEEP THE WINDOWS INDEXING SERVICE RUNNING FOR NORMAL SD OPERATION.

Hi Jack

Yes the timing function is still not functioning correctly.

Your Indexing service was set to disabled not manual? And have you now set it at automatic? I have it at manual and have no problem with that. Only the timing, but it usually finish by me in less than 10 minutes anyway, regardless of what the timer says.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just attempted my first run of SD manual fast optimize and after watching estimated completion times over 24 hours on 60GB of tight storage I knew something was wrong. I watched the estimated completion time change through many estimates all around 24 hours and saw no GUI activity??? Discovered after a bit of logic that the Windows Indexing Service might be the culprit - I usually leave it disabled for normal operation. After setting the Indexing Service to Automatic and starting it in mmc, all SD operations proceeded normally and about 250,000 files and folders are in process of being rearranged. The estimate is about 2 hours now and the drive is very busy. I was unable to find any mention of the Windows Indexing Service need here so here is my first contribution to the forum....KEEP THE WINDOWS INDEXING SERVICE RUNNING FOR NORMAL SD OPERATION.

Windows Indexing Service

I have to disable windows indexing service every time I turn on my computer, just to restore any speed it has. I need everything you can tell me about windows indexing service, since the tech. at Microsoft does not know a thing about it. I spent at least 3 hours on the phone with them and after all that time, all they could do was tell me was what I already told them that I did. Just to keep disabling it. How do I just turn it off with out having to do all the time?

Hi chuckie

Inside Indexing service there is an option to let it start up every time. This option should be disabled in your case, I think.

If you have that disabled and then go and disable the function in services, you could then try to run a system optimize scan in ASC and see if it finds any "problems", and then choose the ones to be "repaired" and the ones to be placed in the ignore list.

Let's see if that does the trick!

Cheers

solbjerg

I have to disable windows indexing service every time I turn on my computer, just to restore any speed it has. I need everything you can tell me about windows indexing service, since the tech. at Microsoft does not know a thing about it. I spent at least 3 hours on the phone with them and after all that time, all they could do was tell me was what I already told them that I did. Just to keep disabling it. How do I just turn it off with out having to do all the time?

Archived