IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Features that could be added...

Hi

I would love to see SmartDefrag being chosen over EVERY other defrag software out there, including all the commercial ones.

There are FOUR ideas that I believe could make this possible:

1) Produce a boot-time driver that defragments the system files e.g. paging file(s), registry hives, MFT, hibernation file and so on.

2) Respect the layout.ini file in XP/VISTA prefetch folder.

3) In addition to suggestion 2, SmartDefrag could silently watch in the background how programs are loaded and what other files the programs use such as .dll files and so on. When you defragment these programs, place the defragmented files NEXT TO EACH OTHER on disk IN THE ORDER THEY ARE LOADED.

4) Allow auto defrag to run at Windows startup WITHOUT requiring administrator privileges. Users with non-administrator accounts could then benefit from automatic defragmenting.

I hope these ideas prove useful. It would be nice if the developers read this thread.

I wonder if it's possible for 3rd party defragmenters to turn off the automatic defrag built into Windows Vista? If not, it would be a good idea to tell users how to do this - if they don't want to use the built-in defrag.

Cheers. :-)

Hi Tester1,

I too hope the devs read this thread.

Per your request, to turn off automatic defrag built into Windows Vista can be found here . It describes both Vista Original and Vista SP1 defragmenters, as defrag is changed in Vista SP1 with respect to Original Vista.

Cheers.

Great Ideas

All very good suggestions.One solution to help with the boot issue can be found here.And another free defragger with boot capabilities can be found here.In this utility,go to tools/options and it's near the bottom.However,it seems to remain unchecked by default,as I have had to recheck it each time I want to use it.Give those a shot for now.

Archived