IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Using Deep Optimize or Defrag or Both

Smart Defrag has this thing called Deep Optimize. They also have Fast Optimize and Defrag only.

Is it better to get your drive Deep Optimized first off and then always use that option?

Or use Deep Optimize and afterwards just use Defrag only?

Or will Defrag only put the files back to where they where before Deep Optimize was used?

Thanks but I did read all that stuff and it was informative but my question was this:

Is it better to get your drive Deep Optimized first off and then always use that option?

Or use Deep Optimize and afterwards just use Defrag only because you are just defragging what was Optimized?

Or will "Defrag only" remix the pot and put the files back to where they where before Deep Optimize was used?

These are specific questions that no one seems to know.

OK jonnyb,

May be you missed it, but "Defrag only" defragments the fragmented files as where they are.

FYI, the prosedure below is my preference.

Defrag only first for couple of times, then Fast Optimize, and Rarely Deep Optimize.

Defrag only frequently and sometimes Fast Optimize if you install-uninstall frequently, Deep Optimize once in a while.

Cheers.

How can it defrag files as where they were if the files are fragmented so the fragments are all over the place? They need to be contiguous so the files of course have to be moved somewhat to get them contiguous. So they do get moved somewhat and in that case they are not where they were orginally, right?

I wonder why you Defrag first because doesn't Deep Optimize actually set up the hard drive and reorganizes it all first and then from there you can keep that set of organized files defragged thru Defrag Only. Is this how this program actually works? It will do a complete different organization of your hard drive for best performance thru the Deep Optimize other than what Windows Defrag stack all files?

I don't have Defrag Optimize. I only have Defrag Only, Fast Optimize and Deep Optimize in my program.

Sorry not to be precise jonnyb,

Certainly the fragmented parts are moved to the first appropriate space to make a fragmented file contiguous.

Using first Defrag Only is to make the time for Fast and Deep optimizes quicker. (to shorten the time for calculation of space for a file)

Cheers.

You may be shortening the time for Deep Optimize but you are lengthening the time that you spent on the computer and also for the computer itself. If Deep Optimize defrags the hard drive and rewrites where the files are placed then why not do that and be done with it? I did the Deep O. last nite on a fresh install of Windows and all the software that I put on a computer which is around 3 GB with XP Pro and it only took 10 minutes.

You may know this. I had put Smart Defrag on a laptop yesterday and of course ran it but the next day I was demonstrating it for someone and went to run Defrag Only and it only blinked the whole interface and did not Defrag or give me any flying colors or no report. Tried it three times. Then I tried Fast O and Deep O and when I clicked Start, got another blink and the thing never started to defrag anything. So what's with that?

I just uninstalled it.

• 1 month later...

Hi jonny

If the laptop was running on batteries and the setting was that it should not defrag while running on batteries, - it did precisely as it was supposed to :-)

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11683#post11683

Cheers

solbjerg

You may be shortening the time for Deep Optimize but you are lengthening the time that you spent on the computer and also for the computer itself. If Deep Optimize defrags the hard drive and rewrites where the files are placed then why not do that and be done with it? I did the Deep O. last nite on a fresh install of Windows and all the software that I put on a computer which is around 3 GB with XP Pro and it only took 10 minutes.

You may know this. I had put Smart Defrag on a laptop yesterday and of course ran it but the next day I was demonstrating it for someone and went to run Defrag Only and it only blinked the whole interface and did not Defrag or give me any flying colors or no report. Tried it three times. Then I tried Fast O and Deep O and when I clicked Start, got another blink and the thing never started to defrag anything. So what's with that?

I just uninstalled it.

Hi all.

The options for Smart Defrag are written as Defrag only, Fast Optimize, and Deep Optimize.

I've registered here to find out if Fast Optimize and Deep Optimize also includes defragging.

If it doesn't include defragging, then why is the defrag option written as 'Defrag only'?

Hi Tom

Please read the thread Usage of IObit Products

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11683#post11683

The reason it says Defrag only is because it "only" defrags, while fast optimize also optimizes the placement of the files, and Deep optimize does that to an even larger degree.

For a deeper understanding of fragmentation/defragmentation I refer you to enoskypes thread: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=612

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi all.

The options for Smart Defrag are written as Defrag only, Fast Optimize, and Deep Optimize.

I've registered here to find out if Fast Optimize and Deep Optimize also includes defragging.

If it doesn't include defragging, then why is the defrag option written as 'Defrag only'?

Archived