IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Desktop Window Appears on StartUp

jdracy

I have installed ASC 3.2.0 on 2 computers running Windows XP Media Center SP3. One works just fine. On the other one, every time a user logs in a Desktop window pops up at startup.

I have searched the registry, turned off the option to run at Windows startup, but the only thing that seems to work is to remove the program entirely.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Hi jdracy

Have you gone through all the settings?

Checked the thread "Usage of IObit Products"?

ASC must be run by Administrator!

What difference do you see between the two computers?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have installed ASC 3.2.0 on 2 computers running Windows XP Media Center SP3. One works just fine. On the other one, every time a user logs in a Desktop window pops up at startup.

I have searched the registry, turned off the option to run at Windows startup, but the only thing that seems to work is to remove the program entirely.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Problem: At user login, Desktop window appears on desktop.

Steps taken so far:

• Turn off option to "Execute at Windows Startup" - no change
  • Uninstall program - Desktop window no longer appears
  • Reinstall program - Desktop window appears again
  • Search registry - nothing found pointing to desktop folder
  • Uninstall program - user uninstaller, clean all references to Iobit from registry, restart computer, delete program folder, clear trash folder
  • Reinstall program - Desktop folder is appearing once again.

I didn't find anything in the recommended thread that would help. Also, the program is being run as an Administrator (I already found out that Limited Users can't run it, even though it appears on their Start menus).

The window that appears in Windows Explorer pointing to the Desktop folder (highest level folder in the tree).

EDIT: I have used the default settings on the problem computer, and also settings that match the computer that is running without problem. If I don't hear from somebody on this, the program will be a no-go for me; I can't waste time explaining to users that an explorer window will be popping up from now on and that I can't do anything about it!

Hi jdracy

What do you mean explaining to users, are you trying to run all users as administrators (how many) on that machine but not on the other?

Do you have a license? for how many machines?

Cheers

solbjerg

Problem: At user login, Desktop window appears on desktop.

Steps taken so far:

• Turn off option to "Execute at Windows Startup" - no change
  • Uninstall program - Desktop window no longer appears
  • Reinstall program - Desktop window appears again
  • Search registry - nothing found pointing to desktop folder
  • Uninstall program - user uninstaller, clean all references to Iobit from registry, restart computer, delete program folder, clear trash folder
  • Reinstall program - Desktop folder is appearing once again.

I didn't find anything in the recommended thread that would help. Also, the program is being run as an Administrator (I already found out that Limited Users can't run it, even though it appears on their Start menus).

The window that appears in Windows Explorer pointing to the Desktop folder (highest level folder in the tree).

EDIT: I have used the default settings on the problem computer, and also settings that match the computer that is running without problem. If I don't hear from somebody on this, the program will be a no-go for me; I can't waste time explaining to users that an explorer window will be popping up from now on and that I can't do anything about it!

Hi jdracy

What do you mean explaining to users, are you trying to run all users as administrators (how many) on that machine but not on the other?

Do you have a license? for how many machines?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have multiple users on the problem machine - they are not all Administrators, but the Explorer window appears now no matter who logs in to the machine. No one is trying to actually run the program except me (an Administrator account) on the problem machine. There is a single administrator account on each machine.

I am running the free version.

Hi jdracy

Have you tried to run it with the administrator privileges removed for all except the administrator account?

Worth a try - to see if this is where the problem lies.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have multiple users on the problem machine - they are not all Administrators, but the Explorer window appears now no matter who logs in to the machine. No one is trying to actually run the program except me (an Administrator account) on the problem machine. There is a single administrator account on each machine.

I am running the free version.

Hi jdracy

Have you tried to run it with the administrator privileges removed for all except the administrator account?

Worth a try - to see if this is where the problem lies.

Cheers

solbjerg

Aside from THE Administrator account (which can only be reached in Safe Mode), there is only 1 administrator account. I won't be changing this account because I use it to install software and make system changes; I don't want to have to reboot into Safe Mode every time I need to make a change.

Also, this behavior has nothing to do with running the program. It occurs when a user logs on to the computer - NOT when someone actually runs the program. The behavior occurs even when I turn off the "Execute at Windows Startup" option.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard any more from anyone about this problem, so let me post what I found this morning:

1. With ASC installed, but set to not run at Startup, the problem still occurred
  2. I looked at the startup options and found one entry that had no path to an executable, so I disabled it. Having done this, the explorer window no longer appears.
  3. I reset the ASC startup option. I no longer get the explorer window at startup

I don't know what the "/startup" switch does when running ASC. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm curious because it does not seem to be checking for updates at startup. Again, on the other machines if there is an update the update window appears, but on this machine it doesn't.

I shut down my computer last night. When I started it up this morning, the update ran at startup like I expect it should. I take it then that the update may only run once each day at startup.

The startup string is: AWS.exe /startup. All I want to know is what does the /startup switch do? Since I apparently don't have access to a manual with the free version, I'm really flying blind. I'm managing to get the kinks worked out, but a trial and error basis.

I shut down my computer last night. When I started it up this morning, the update ran at startup like I expect it should. I take it then that the update may only run once each day at startup..

It is good to hear that your problem is solved.

The startup string is: AWS.exe /startup. All I want to know is what does the /startup switch do? Since I apparently don't have access to a manual with the free version, I'm really flying blind. I'm managing to get the kinks worked out, but a trial and error basis.

I think you made a typing mistake for the startup file, as the exe file should be AWC.exe

I asked your options that you have cosen, as it is related to /startup switch. It will activate the chosen functions of ASC in startup.

Please read USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread in the Lounge section of this forum, there are tons of information there.

FYI, Pro doesn't have a different manual than Free.

Cheers.

Archived