IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC's chkdsk function?

lacan

Hi lacan

Actually I think /f is the switch it is using.

You can run other swiches yourself through "Run", take a look here

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

but as sunny points out, only use it if necessary.

As for changing it, what would be the point?

I suppose one could find it in regedit and change the command, - but isn't it easier to just write the switch you want in "Run"?

If your question is if the program could give you an option to choose between switches - well I suppose you could rewrite the program :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi All,

How can I add the function /f to ASC's Disk Check?

Thanks

I have v.3.2.0 (free) and when I run it it says something like ''the F function has not been selected'' thus I just wondered if it's advisable to change it.

If it is read only,does it fix errors,i.e.is it worthwile running it?

Thanks

Hi solbjerg,

I am not aware of a switch of /scannow for chkdsk.

Certainly not /r, it is plain chkdsk without a specific switch for chkdsk.

In read only mode, chkdsk fix minor things not associated with Windows' working. (Things that don't need Windows to be locked.)

I think they use a switch to close command prompt window after running chkdsk.

chkdsk switches:

Switch : Effect

filename : FAT only. Specifies the file or set of files to check for fragmentation. Wildcard characters (* and ?) are allowed.

path : FAT only. Specifies the location of a file or set of files within the folder structure of the volume.

size : NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. Must be used with the /l switch.

volume : FAT only. Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.

/c : NTFS only. Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.

/f : Fixes errors on the volume. The volume must be locked. If Chkdsk cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer starts.

/i : NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.

/l : NTFS only. Displays current size of the log file.

/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f ). If Chkdsk cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer starts.

/v : On FAT. Displays the full path and name of every file on the volume. On NTFS. Displays cleanup messages, if any.

/x : NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All opened handles to the volume are then invalid (implies /f ).

/? : Displays this list of Chkdsk switches.

Cheers.

Ok enoskype

My mistake - I was thinking about sfc and confused the subject - so sorry

the chkdsk can be run from command prompt in system32 and then one can write the switch /f there, otherwise from the command prompt in utilities you have to first go from document and setting to C: and then write chkdsk /f there, as far as I remember.

But I find it easier to go through the normal way in c: properties/functions

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived