IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag Lost my HardDrive ?

I am running the Current version of smart degrag. I was defraging a 500G slave Drive on my vista Ultimate OS where I keep Most of my Data ( Mp3's, Movies ect...). Nothing else Was running BUT Smart defrag. I was up to 67% When my system Froze. I left it hanging for 2 hours hoping it would come back but it never did. Keyboard and Mouse were unresponsive. I was forced to reboot my Computer. now that I have Rebooted my Machine my slave drive no longer shows in windows AT ALL. When my BIOS is displayed I can see that it recognizes a HD being plugged in But it doesnt display the name(Manufactuerer name or Model name) of the HD anymore Nor does it come up as an additional drive when windows boots up. I have rebooted and reset a million times as Well as reset setting on my BIOS anything to read the drive but to No Avail.I am at a loss that I can't access this drive :!:

PLEASE HELP ?

Hi EQUiLiiBRiUM

Try going back to a Windows restore point from before this happened.

Usually when it stops defragging it is because of large picture or video files. Take a look at that and perhaps exclude them from defragging.

For example do not defrag files over 1 GB or even less. There is an option for that in the settings.

Cheers

solbjerg

I am running the Current version of smart degrag. I was defraging a 500G slave Drive on my vista Ultimate OS where I keep Most of my Data ( Mp3's, Movies ect...). Nothing else Was running BUT Smart defrag. I was up to 67% When my system Froze. I left it hanging for 2 hours hoping it would come back but it never did. Keyboard and Mouse were unresponsive. I was forced to reboot my Computer. now that I have Rebooted my Machine my slave drive no longer shows in windows AT ALL. When my BIOS is displayed I can see that it recognizes a HD being plugged in But it doesnt display the name(Manufactuerer name or Model name) of the HD anymore Nor does it come up as an additional drive when windows boots up. I have rebooted and reset a million times as Well as reset setting on my BIOS anything to read the drive but to No Avail.I am at a loss that I can't access this drive :!:

PLEASE HELP ?

Yes, in order to try to get into you external data disk to run a chkdsk, to try to sort out the jumbled data that resulted from powerloss during defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

Restore ?

I have an 80G HD that has my OS on it. Your saying I should restore in Vista to a Restore point Prior to me actually doing the defrag :?:

The data lost was on the Slave which was the 500G that had all my data on it.....

Lost HDD

Had similar experience with "Boot Disk failure." Suggest You Flash Bios. That worked for me....Another method that might work: use operating system disk and let it run to Repair (Press R) Then type help then click fixboot. Hope this helps. Another one: Unplug computer,remove CMOS battery and wait 20 minutes. Replace battery and boot up!

Lost HDD

ADDED:

The battery removal worked, but did not seem to be a lasting fix; it gives you sufficient time to backup or clone the drive. BIOS flash worked well. You should be able to get the BIOS Flash software over the net from your computer or motherboard manufacturer.

Hi afterburner

After the removal/wait and replacing did you then configure your bios again?

Cheers

solbjerg

ADDED:

The battery removal worked, but did not seem to be a lasting fix; it gives you sufficient time to backup or clone the drive. BIOS flash worked well. You should be able to get the BIOS Flash software over the net from your computer or motherboard manufacturer.

Lost HDD

Actually went into BIOS and defaulted them. Then went back and made all boots to CD. Then Flashed BIOS. When Computer finally booted, I reset the boot seguence to CD, HDD, and CD.

I'm still having problem. There is something putting me into "Boot Disk Failure" but at least I can repair the boot and work on the triggering problem.

(To Flash BIOS, I went to EVGA site (motherboard manufacturer) downloaded BIOS Flash to disk. Then placed the disk in CD drive and started the computer. After the computer started I backed up to disk,)

Had similar experience with "Boot Disk failure." Suggest You Flash Bios. That worked for me....Another method that might work: use operating system disk and let it run to Repair (Press R) Then type help then click fixboot. Hope this helps. Another one: Unplug computer,remove CMOS battery and wait 20 minutes. Replace battery and boot up!

If I Boot to OS Disk to Run a Repair or Option "R" I get the Blue screen of Death :!:

I"ll try taking out and replacing the battery And report back....

EDIT : I took Out the Battery but To no avail... HD is Still Unreadable... in the BOIS instead of saying the Name of HD its just Blank like b4 ?

Lost HDD

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, my computer kicked off again with "Boot Disk Failure" and I can no longer boot with any of the techniques I suggested. My best result was with the Flash. I was then able to backup the HHD.

When I suggest the battery removal, I should have gone into more detail. Turn off the computer at the power supply or pull the plug. Then take the battery out for at least 20 minutes; better still overnight. After the downtime, replace the battery and then power and boot up. On the bootup, I would have my OS Disk in the drive. It sounds to me like you have a MBR problem in your OS. If you can ever get it started, you can use the repair in the OS and the fixboot or rebuild the MBR

I built my computer and am using an EVGA motherboard. I have been working with their tech support. They have sanction all that I have relayed to you. Today they just authorized a new motherboard without cost or hesitation. EVGA is a fine company to work with. I recommendthem for their products and service.

There is another way to reclaim the info on your HHD. Go to a Goodwill Store and buy an old computer for your HHD. Cost from 10 to 25 dollars. Hook up your monitor and backup hardware and copy your drive. Then donate the computer back to Goodwill and take a tax deduction. Or stick the HDD in a friends computer. Has to be a good friend!

Afterburner

Archived