IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Auto defrag ? when

I set auto defrag to run when idle for 5 minutes and if I let the computer set and the screen saver starts running as normal after 10 minutes the defrag does not run ? are there certain times it will run, even though the mail is off and no one using it, i thoguht it would run if idle?

Hi John

Are you running on batteries?

Take a look here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=11683&postcount=6

Cheers

solbjerg

I set auto defrag to run when idle for 5 minutes and if I let the computer set and the screen saver starts running as normal after 10 minutes the defrag does not run ? are there certain times it will run, even though the mail is off and no one using it, i thoguht it would run if idle?

Hi johnj7l,

What is your other adjustments in Options, Schedule, and Auto Defrag?

Can you check how much CPU your Screen Saver uses? When some Screen Savers are on, the PC is not considered as idling. (Open Task Manager And check the CPU (Under performance tab) when previewing that specific Screen Saver.)

Cheers.

Hi johnj7l,

What is your other adjustments in Options, Schedule, and Auto Defrag?

Can you check how much CPU your Screen Saver uses? When some Screen Savers are on, the PC is not considered as idling. (Open Task Manager And check the CPU (Under performance tab) when previewing that specific Screen Saver.)

Cheers.

running in a desktop that does not hail to sleep or monitor off. always on mode.

screen saver is simple stars flying stars mode set at 10 minutes when auto defrag set to 5 minutes

computer plenty of cpu power duel core 6 gig of ram

config for auto defrag is :

Enable Auto defrag

Pause auto defrag when 20%

Start auto defrag when idele 5 minutes

this is the only setting..

appears to only run about every 4-5 hours, is this normal?

all so I notice when it does defrag it shows the drive defraged but if I run a analyze on it few minutes later there are still many files to defrag?

Hi john

Try reading enoskype's thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=612

Fragmentation is going on all the time when the computer is in use,

and the files in use can not be defragmented.

As for "normal" that depends on how much you use your computer and how heavily.

Cheers

solbjerg

running in a desktop that does not hail to sleep or monitor off. always on mode.

screen saver is simple stars flying stars mode set at 10 minutes when auto defrag set to 5 minutes

computer plenty of cpu power duel core 6 gig of ram

config for auto defrag is :

Enable Auto defrag

Pause auto defrag when 20%

Start auto defrag when idele 5 minutes

this is the only setting..

appears to only run about every 4-5 hours, is this normal?

all so I notice when it does defrag it shows the drive defraged but if I run a analyze on it few minutes later there are still many files to defrag?

i have this issue too.

i didn't know there was a "minimum fragged files" behaviour. i set it to autodefrag when idle for 1 minute.

with NO option to pause if resources are used and it still sits there doing nothing. only every number of HOURS will it defrag a few files then stop, even if there are thousands of files to work on. my server and media center frag files faster than this app defrags them.

here's a video of it refusing to obey the settings:

http://www.vimeo.com/3853532

i love the program, but the best feature of auto defragging doesn't seem to work.

A great video show p3ngwin :-o, but there is a major thing that you may have misunderstood.

Your last Auto defrag defragmented 1166 fragmented files on 26-03-2009 at o4:19:20 hours.

The # of files are for the defragmented files not the fragmented files that waiting for defragmentation.

Best thing to check is, do a manual Analysis and Defragmentation Only just after Auto defrag and see if there is any existing fragmented file.

Auto Defrag will not start defragmentation if there is not enough # of fragmented files to be considered the disk as even lightly fragmented disk.

Don't ask me the threshold limits. :wink:

Cheers.

A great video show p3ngwin :-o, but there is a major thing that you may have misunderstood.

Your last Auto defrag defragmented 1166 fragmented files on 26-03-2009 at o4:19:20 hours.

The # of files are for the defragmented files not the fragmented files that waiting for defragmentation.

Best thing to check is, do a manual Analysis and Defragmentation Only just after Auto defrag and see if there is any existing fragmented file.

Auto Defrag will not start defragmentation if there is not enough # of fragmented files to be considered the disk as even lightly fragmented disk.

Don't ask me the threshold limits. :wink:

Cheers.

as i just put in another thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=14082&postcount=9

--------------------------------------------------------------

not running on batteries.

this is my main desktop machine with power settings in Vist x64 set to "always on".

as you can see in the video, no screen-saver kicks in.

Intel Quad-core 2.5Ghz

6gigs ram

Vista x64 ultimate with SP1

i now realise that in my video i mis-reported the "1166 files fragged". this is obviously the amount ALREADY defragged so far.

i actually had over a thousand fragmented files after doing a "pre-video" analysis using smartdefrag. the rest of the video is still valid as it shows that the auto defrag option isn't working as stated after 1 min.

so the question still remains: what's up with the auto feature?

---------------------------------------------------------

i'd like to know these threshold limits for the minimum fragged files for the defragging to kick-in. i believe this is best a feature for the user to select. is it based on:

- #of fragged files

- % of fragged files

- time since last defrag (maybe it won't do too many defrag sessions in a time period?)

i believe giving the user the option to defrag based on:

Defrag when: (OPTION) reaches XX

(OPTION= a drop down menu to select FILES or PERCENT)

XX=user defined number

i've never seen SD work more than once every few hours, when my PC can be idle for hours with thousands of files fragged. SD will defrag a few, then leave the rest for another few hours, then defrag a few,etc

it should defrag ALL of them unless i interrupt, or tell it to stop.

Hi p3ngwin

1 minute? Means continually practically.

My guess is that the settings kicks in at 10% fragmentation, at a "normal" use this will mean that it should not kick in every minute. I would advocate default settings - if one wants to use the automatic function.

I do not use it.

Cheers

solbjerg

as i just put in another thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=14082&postcount=9

--------------------------------------------------------------

not running on batteries.

this is my main desktop machine with power settings in Vist x64 set to "always on".

as you can see in the video, no screen-saver kicks in.

Intel Quad-core 2.5Ghz

6gigs ram

Vista x64 ultimate with SP1

i now realise that in my video i mis-reported the "1166 files fragged". this is obviously the amount ALREADY defragged so far.

i actually had over a thousand fragmented files after doing a "pre-video" analysis using smartdefrag. the rest of the video is still valid as it shows that the auto defrag option isn't working as stated after 1 min.

so the question still remains: what's up with the auto feature?

---------------------------------------------------------

i'd like to know these threshold limits for the minimum fragged files for the defragging to kick-in. i believe this is best a feature for the user to select. is it based on:

- #of fragged files

- % of fragged files

- time since last defrag (maybe it won't do too many defrag sessions in a time period?)

i believe giving the user the option to defrag based on:

Defrag when: (OPTION) reaches XX

(OPTION= a drop down menu to select FILES or PERCENT)

XX=user defined number

i've never seen SD work more than once every few hours, when my PC can be idle for hours with thousands of files fragged. SD will defrag a few, then leave the rest for another few hours, then defrag a few,etc

it should defrag ALL of them unless i interrupt, or tell it to stop.

ok lets assume it's minimum 10% fragmentation it kicks in.

i want it to check as often as possible for when the threshold is reached. i mean, this is supposed to be an automatic realtime defragger feature yes?

so it should check as close to realtime as practically possible, not "every 4 hours" or whatever timescale it checks. if i wanted that kind of frequency i would use the SCHEDULER function yes?

the auto feature is supposed to check as often as it takes to catch frags with minimum latency as possible without impeding the user experience.

how is checking every every few hours any different from scheduling? the AUTO feature is supposed to be DYNAMIC, and based on the criteria set by the user. it should not be a time frequency thing as that's SCHEDULING.

if i tell it to wait no more than 1 minute before checking for fragmentation, i expect it to check every minute. the only condition is if it's "pause if resource usage reaches..." level is hit.

the option to have it check as frequently as every minute is there, ahy doesn't it work?

if it is the minimum 10% theory then i'd like the option to chose that % for MY needs.

otherwise all the options i have available to me are not working because of an option that is NOT available to me overrides everything and i end up an "auto" feature that's no better than "scheduler".

the AUTO feature is supposed to use my IDLE resources to make sure my drive is fragmented to a minimum. so when i have thousands of fragmented files, WHY is SD defragging a few, then STOPPING for no good reason? it should continue defragging until either:

A) there are no more files to process,

or

B) resources usage rules override it.

Hi p3ngwin

The automatic ON function of SmartDefrag, will defrag your computer when it has been idle for some specified time, and when some unspecified threshold is reached. It won't defrag files and programs in use, so if you are checking performance during defrag, it will exclude these files from defragment, but it will tell you what number of files is defragmented, so in a way it will tell you how many files you are using at the moment if you take a look at that, - if the disk was fully defragmented before you started your check.

The scheduler on the other hand will check/defragment your computer once a day/week/or whatever you are able to configure, as far as I know you cannot set it to do it every 4 hours. But you can set the schedule to do the defragmentation when the computer isn't in use.

If you want to fully control it I think you should run a manual defragmentation.

Have you read enoskype's thread?

To conclude - you are not really asking for help? But are listing some functions you would like to have in the program? Is that right?

Cheers

solbjerg

ok lets assume it's minimum 10% fragmentation it kicks in.

i want it to check as often as possible for when the threshold is reached. i mean, this is supposed to be an automatic realtime defragger feature yes?

so it should check as close to realtime as practically possible, not "every 4 hours" or whatever timescale it checks. if i wanted that kind of frequency i would use the SCHEDULER function yes?

the auto feature is supposed to check as often as it takes to catch frags with minimum latency as possible without impeding the user experience.

how is checking every every few hours any different from scheduling? the AUTO feature is supposed to be DYNAMIC, and based on the criteria set by the user. it should not be a time frequency thing as that's SCHEDULING.

if i tell it to wait no more than 1 minute before checking for fragmentation, i expect it to check every minute. the only condition is if it's "pause if resource usage reaches..." level is hit.

the option to have it check as frequently as every minute is there, ahy doesn't it work?

if it is the minimum 10% theory then i'd like the option to chose that % for MY needs.

otherwise all the options i have available to me are not working because of an option that is NOT available to me overrides everything and i end up an "auto" feature that's no better than "scheduler".

the AUTO feature is supposed to use my IDLE resources to make sure my drive is fragmented to a minimum. so when i have thousands of fragmented files, WHY is SD defragging a few, then STOPPING for no good reason? it should continue defragging until either:

A) there are no more files to process,

or

B) resources usage rules override it.

Hi p3ngwin

The automatic ON function of SmartDefrag, will defrag your computer when it has been idle for some specified time, and when some unspecified threshold is reached. It won't defrag files and programs in use, so if you are checking performance during defrag, it will exclude these files from defragment, but it will tell you what number of files is defragmented, so in a way it will tell you how many files you are using at the moment if you take a look at that, - if the disk was fully defragmented before you started your check.

The scheduler on the other hand will check/defragment your computer once a day/week/or whatever you are able to configure, as far as I know you cannot set it to do it every 4 hours. But you can set the schedule to do the defragmentation when the computer isn't in use.

If you want to fully control it I think you should run a manual defragmentation.

Have you read enoskype's thread?

To conclude - you are not really asking for help? But are listing some functions you would like to have in the program? Is that right?

Cheers

solbjerg

1) the idle specified time is not honoured. you are saying it must be because "unspecified threshold " is not reached. why is this threshold setting not available to the user?

2)i have THOUSANDS of files fragmented, they are NOT in use. why isn't it defragging?

you may take suggestions from my experience about how to improve your good software, like making the "pause autodefrag when reaource usage ...." option clearly state if "resources" refers to CPU, DISK, or an average of both.

as for SD, i can't make it any more explicit:

SD is set to defrag for idle resources and refuses to defrag THOUSANDS of files that are NOT in use.

if you really must have more evidence , would you like another video showing an analysis of the disk to show the file types and numbers before i show it doing nothing after the set idle time?

Hi p3ngwin

How do you determine how many fragmented files you have?

By the way you are not talking to IObit employees, but to other users.

Cheers

solbjerg

1) the idle specified time is not honoured. you are saying it must be because "unspecified threshold " is not reached. why is this threshold setting not available to the user?

2)i have THOUSANDS of files fragmented, they are NOT in use. why isn't it defragging?

you may take suggestions from my experience about how to improve your good software, like making the "pause autodefrag when reaource usage ...." option clearly state if "resources" refers to CPU, DISK, or an average of both.

as for SD, i can't make it any more explicit:

SD is set to defrag for idle resources and refuses to defrag THOUSANDS of files that are NOT in use.

if you really must have more evidence , would you like another video showing an analysis of the disk to show the file types and numbers before i show it doing nothing after the set idle time?

Hi p3ngwin

How do you determine how many fragmented files you have?

By the way you are not talking to IObit employees, but to other users.

Cheers

solbjerg

are you kidding me?

how do you think i determine how fragged my disk is??

I MANUALLY ANALYZE IT WITH SMARTDEFRAG.

i understand you think you're helping, but all you've done so far is to say :

"To conclude - you are not really asking for help? But are listing some functions you would like to have in the program? Is that right?"

i have stated the problem, shown in video, explained many times.....THE AUTO DEFRAG FEATURE DOES NOT WORK.

why is it you don't understand that?

if you're not an employee then who do i need to talk to to get some answers to this problem?

Hi p3ngwin

Fine then! I was just wondering if you used another defragger to analyze.

Goodbye and good luck

solbjerg

are you kidding me?

how do you think i determine how fragged my disk is??

I MANUALLY ANALYZE IT WITH SMARTDEFRAG.

i understand you think you're helping, but all you've done so far is to say :

"To conclude - you are not really asking for help? But are listing some functions you would like to have in the program? Is that right?"

i have stated the problem, shown in video, explained many times.....THE AUTO DEFRAG FEATURE DOES NOT WORK.

why is it you don't understand that?

if you're not an employee then who do i need to talk to to get some answers to this problem?

Hi p3ngwin

Fine then! I was just wondering if you used another defragger to analyze.

Goodbye and good luck

solbjerg

i use SD to analise the disk because that is the metric it should be held to. using another defragger to compare will yield different results because each app has a different way of "thinking" what fragmentation is. this is due to the different algorithms and approaches.

SD says i have fragged files, plenty of them. i've checked using my previous defragger (DISKEEPER) and it too says i have plenty of files fragged, just a slightly different amount.

it was facetious to ask if i'm using a different defragger for analysing and SD to defragment. that wouldn't be a fair judgment to SD and it contaminates the results due to the inconsistency of using two apps from unrelated companies.

i understand yo were trying to help, but come on...asking if i was using SD for analising??

i run SD on my media server that also shares files via FTP to many friends and on P2P.

the machine is used by at least 2 people, sometimes as many as 6, who brows the internet, check emails,etc using their accounts on windows XP.

the machine is capable in all aspects of CPU,RAM,HD,etc. the maintenance of the HD is supposed to be done in idle resources by SD, this is not happening.

such a machine gets fragged easily, and any system of energy conversions is most efficient when there are as few idle resources as possible. waste is not good, EVER.

if my CPU and disk are not working 100% then they are wasting time and energy they could be doing something. SD is supposed to be a maintenance app that takes advantage of idle resources so they are no longer wasted, instead put to use in "preventative maintenance" to keep fragmentation to a minimum and help keep the machine in best possible performance.

at the moment the idle mode of SD is not working anywhere near it's potential as there seems to be a hidden "threshold" of files needed before SD kicks in. this setting that is unavailable to the user could be the reason a machine can sit there with fragged files while SD decides it knows better.

if SD decides to not work despite me setting it to, then there is something the matter with the app. SD is supposed to work for the user, not SD thinking it knows best and ignore it's settings.

• 1 month later...

Autodefrag is not working at all

Hi Forum,

I agree with user p3ngwin insofar as the Autodefrag feature is not working at all in my case either.

http://666kb.com/i/b8vc948qvduudxd9w.png

My computer can sit there for days and SD does not defrag a single file. No matter what the percentage limit and idle settings are set to.

CPU and hard drive are idle.

Please fix if at all possible,

Thanks David.P

Hi David

I do not understand. Would you please attach a screenshot of the activity report in SmartDefrag.

By background defrag - you mean the automatic defrag?

What are your settings?

Cheers

solbjerg

Actually, SmartDefrag (wrongly) reports hard drive activity at 100% all the time -- which is probably why it doesn't background defrag.

Please inform how this can be fixed.

Thanks already

David.P

another user with the same problem.

if it is indeed this "threshold" setting that is hidden from users, i believe it would be better to reveal it.

the user should be able to decide what level of fragmentation is the threshold, not some secret amount from the devs. let the user decide how they want SD to manage their drives. not the devs.

as much as i love the rest of SD, this setting is and integral part of the feature of idle defragging. it's like giving us half of the control of the best feature SD has.

the 2 best options i see are:

1) give the user full control over frag threshold, resource threshold,etc fro FULL control

2)just the IDLE DEFRAG (ON/OFF) setting with developer decided threshold for everything.

at the moment we have in "in between" level of control that just upsets some of us. it would cost nothing to have the threshold control for the users that want 100% control of the app, and would compromise nothing for the users that wouldn't use it.

please give us the threshold control to make SD the idle defragging app we know it can be, and we want it to be.

Hi David

I still do not understand.

The autodefrag seems to run ok by me.

I haven't tried the scheduled defrag yet, but will soon, - do not expect any trouble there either.

Screenshot from my autodefrag activity

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=862&d=1242232455

As it hardly had any fragmented files it says it hasn't found any files to defrag, but perhaps this legend talks about the scheduled defrag, I'll know more about that when I have run a scheduled defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I do not see any need to run a scheduled defrag if the autodefrag is running, or vice versa, but I will try it without having the autodefrag running soon.

Actually, SmartDefrag (wrongly) reports hard drive activity at 100% all the time -- which is probably why it doesn't background defrag.

Please inform how this can be fixed.

Thanks already

David.P

autodefrag 14. May. 2009

Hi David

I ran it again this morning and got this legend

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=864&d=1242295317

So it WAS talking about the autodefrag, but there were probably too few fragmented files yesterday.

The disk use ran between 0 % and 95 % - mostly at about 20-40%

The cpu use ran between 0% and peaks at around 50% but mostly around 4%

I saw no reason to use the pause function during a test, while that might have held it up.!

I'll post back when I have tried the Scheduled defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived