IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Access violation...?

For some reason when I'm trying to analyze or run a defrag on my secondary external hard drive I get an error about an access violation that just cascades down my screen indefinitely and I have to use the task manager to end the program..

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9626/36508803.th.png

That there is a picture of it on the first message, but they just continue to cascade down the screen if I don't stop it.

I also have one other question. What's the difference between "Defrag Only", "Fast Optimize" and "Deep Optimize"? And are there any risks to running the optimize options? Thanks much in advance!

Hi CheeseKing,

It is explained here and here.

When you convert from FAT32 to NTFS, you don't loose any data, but reverse is not the same.

Even in your case it is safe to convert to NTFS from FAT32, it is advisable to back up before doing so.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Is there any other way to get this to work than converting the FAT32 drive to NTFS? Because I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to work. I've run checkdisk twice with both options ticked and it still gives me an error about certain files being damaged or insufficient disk space. I know I have plenty of disk space, and this is driving me crazy. If there is any other way...? :sad:

Hi CheeseKing

What size and how much free space on your external harddrive?

What files on it? Video? Pictures? How large are they?

If something is the matter with your primary drive - then try a sfc /scannow on that. (Needs your install disk)

If you run into trouble with your install disk, take a look under sfc here

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=12721#post12721

Cheers

solbjerg

Is there any other way to get this to work than converting the FAT32 drive to NTFS? Because I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to work. I've run checkdisk twice with both options ticked and it still gives me an error about certain files being damaged or insufficient disk space. I know I have plenty of disk space, and this is driving me crazy. If there is any other way...? :sad:

It's a 500 GB with 83.2 GBs in use and 382 free GBs. I've got a lot of files on it.. Mostly pictures, with some videos on it. Some text files, some exe's.. Basically just a random mix of stuff. I just use it for storage and run windows on the primary drive. The primary drive defrags just fine, it's just the external drive that won't defrag or convert to NTFS.

Hi CheeseKing

Best advice I can come up with is to place the 83.2 GB on your primary drive, format - or delete it on the external drive, and place it back on it again after this, and then delete it from your primary drive after you have checked that this has gone well.

You ought to be able to convert it to NTFS while it sits on your primary drive I think, and I do not think you need to defrag it, while the moving it will take care of that.

By the way I seem to remember that a lot of picture files actually are FAT files, be sure that they won't lose any functionality in the conversion.

But wait for enoskype to OK this procedure!!

Cheers

solbjerg

It's a 500 GB with 83.2 GBs in use and 382 free GBs. I've got a lot of files on it.. Mostly pictures, with some videos on it. Some text files, some exe's.. Basically just a random mix of stuff. I just use it for storage and run windows on the primary drive. The primary drive defrags just fine, it's just the external drive that won't defrag or convert to NTFS.

My primary drive is too small to place everything on temporarily. I had no idea there was so much wrong with everything. I thought I knew how to take care my computer and it's components, but this makes me realize I don't know anything.. *sigh* Damnit... I don't know what to do, this is really depressing.

Hi CheeseKing

If you just use it for storage, I do not see any great need to defrag it.

Have you tried a chkdsk on your external drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

My primary drive is too small to place everything on temporarily. I had no idea there was so much wrong with everything. I thought I knew how to take care my computer and it's components, but this makes me realize I don't know anything.. *sigh* Damnit... I don't know what to do, this is really depressing.

Sure have. 2 of them in fact, with both options ticked. So storage drives don't really need to be defragged? That'd mean I don't have to worry about trying to change it to NTFS. Although... Having convert.exe tell me there are errors on the disk (hence, why it wouldn't convert) still has me worried. Do you think there's anything seriously wrong with my external storage drive? It's not even a year old yet.

Hi King

You could try to take some of it and test it in the c: drive, my guess off the cuff is that some picture or video file is damaged, You might find those.

Usually when you save something to the external drive it is in a folder, right? When you use it in your computer and stop using it, it will go back in the same folder you took it from, but not necessarilly in the same spot in the folder. But it doesn't matter much I think. You could move that folder to your C. drive and defrag it and then put it back in exchange for the one on the external drive. But still it will not matter much I think.

As I said I think I read somewhere that picture files actually are better as FAT files, but I am not sure. (I think it was a sleight color change after conversion) Still I am not sure.

If there are old picture files in fat16 or even fat12 I am not sure that they should be converted. Please read a little about it, sir. So that we do not inadvertently give you a bum stear.

Cheers

solbjerg

Sure have. 2 of them in fact, with both options ticked. So storage drives don't really need to be defragged? That'd mean I don't have to worry about trying to change it to NTFS. Although... Having convert.exe tell me there are errors on the disk (hence, why it wouldn't convert) still has me worried. Do you think there's anything seriously wrong with my external storage drive? It's not even a year old yet.

Hi King

It depends on how heavily you use it, is there much installing/uninstalling going on, an enormous amount of surfing? If so I would go for every week, otherwise perhaps once a month is ok. Take a look just before it runs the first time after a month and see how many % the fragment level is, if it is around or under 10 it is fine with a month between I would say.

I do not use the schedule myself, but I think there still are some settings in the scheduling they haven't ironed out yet. Hopefully the next update :-)

Otherwise take a look once in a while here at the beginning and see how the fragment level is holding up. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Excellent then! Thank you, that takes a load off my mind. One more question. If I were to schedule it to do a Deep Optimize monthly and turn AutoDefrag on for my primary drive, would that be sufficient to keep everything going well?

Archived