IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Vista Issues [AWC deleted my...]

anders

Hello,

I recently installed AWC on my laptop, it's good and all. But...

After running it twice, I noticed that my Aero theme on my Vista OS was gone, it was nowhere to be found in the theme folder, and my FLIP 3d (The app. used for changing windows in Vista doesn't work either.

It also disabled my windows security center, and I was unable to make it work again, until just now. So it's all good.

But yeah, can anyone help me, I tried shootertalon's guide and it did not work. And I am unable to add things to my ignored list too for some reason.

I really want my aero back, and make this program work right.

I've tried everything, system restore loads of times. Repair programs. Uninstalling the program completely along with several others. Disabled alot of startup programs.

I've searched the web too. No one can help me.

My aero is gone for good I guess, sucks that I payed for the premium edition, and now I'm stuck with the basic.

anders,

It may not correct the problem, but sometimes we all skip very easy steps.

Probably you have checked the below steps, but I give them in any case.

Make sure that the color is set to 32 bit, the monitor refresh rate is higher than 10 hertz, the theme is set to Windows Vista, the color scheme is set to Windows Aero, and window frame transparency is on.

To set the color to 32 bit

1. Open Display Settings by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Display Settings.

2. Under Colors, click Highest (32 bit), and then click OK. (If you can't select 32 bit, check that your resolution is as high as possible, and then try again.)

To set the monitor refresh rate

1. Open Display Settings by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Display Settings.

2. Click Advanced Settings.

3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click a refresh rate that's higher than 10 hertz.

4. Click Apply. The monitor might take a moment to adjust. If you get a message asking if you want to keep the changes, click Yes. If you get this message and don't apply the changes within fifteen seconds, the refresh rate will revert back to your original setting.

5. Click OK.

Note: Changes to the refresh rate affect all users who log on to the computer.

To change the desktop theme to Windows Vista

1. Open Theme Settings by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Theme.

2. In the Theme list, click Windows Vista, and then click OK.

To change the color scheme to Windows Aero

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Window Color and Appearance. If the Appearance Settings dialog box is not displayed, at the bottom of the page, click Open classic appearance properties.

2. In the Color scheme list, click Windows Aero, and then click OK.

To turn on window frame transparency

To turn on window frame transparency, the color scheme must first be set to Windows Aero.

1. Open Personalization by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Personalization.

2. Click Window Color and Appearance.

3. Select the Enable transparency check box.

Note: If you see the Appearance Settings dialog box instead of the Window Color and Appearance window, the theme might not be set to Windows Vista, or the color scheme might not be set to Windows Aero.

*You might also need to update the computer's performance score, which will automatically enable Aero.

To update your computer's performance score

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

2. Click Update my score. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you are running the Power saver plan on the laptop, Windows sometimes turns off transparency automatically. If you don't want this to happen, you can switch to the Balanced power plan.

To change an existing power plan

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Balanced.

anders,

It is seen from your screenshot that you don't have the color scheme:Windows Aero in your configuration.

Please examine the attached file, and compare with your registries.

Let me know the differences. Preferably same style as I did.

Most probably you have changed it with system analysis of AWC.

In sytem analysis of AWC, I prefer specifically to put visual effects optimization advices of AWC (for Vistas compatible with aero effect) to "Add to ignore list".

RegistryAero.zip

anders,

If you are addressing to me, follow the instructions below:

1)Uncheck the "Word Wrap" under "Format" in the "RegistryAero.txt" notepad in the zip file.

2)(click)start=>(click)Run...=>(type)regedit=>(click)OK=>Registry Editor.

3)Try to find each item in the "RegistryAero.txt" notepad, in the Registry Editor.

4)Compare the values I have given just under each registry entry with the values in Registry Editor.

5)They may be same, similar, different, or non existent.

6)Prepare a txt file for the values of the same registry entries that I have given, for your notebook, in the same format that I did.

7)Specify the non existent entries and/or values.

8 )Zip it and post it to this thread.

We are here trying to help the forum users, so don't hesitate, please ask if you do not understand.

Think about the silly questions that I have asked in the forum.:smile:

Since Tim is going to fix it in the program, if you can get your Aero back in the mean time, this issue will be solved.

Cheers.

anders,

I am running out of suggestions, but try these last ones.

1-

Your registry seems OK, but try adding the below line. If it doesn't work, delete it. Restart after adding.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Plus!\Themes\Current

(Default)__________ REG_EXPAND_SZ______________ %SystemRoot%\resources\themes\Aero.theme

(Your Aero theme may be "aero.theme".)

Search it and check it.

2-

Go to:

(Right click)Computer=>(click)Properties=>Sytem=>(click)Advanced system settings=>System Properties=>Advanced(tab)=>(click)Settings(under "Performance")=>Performance Options=>Visual Effects(tab)=>(check the checkbox)Custom:=>(check all the checkboxes)=>(click)Apply=>(click)OK=>(Close all windows)=>Restart

If these does not solve your problem, please PM to Tim, since he may know what is missing.

Archived