IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestion

I have a secondary drive on my computer and it isn't seen by Smart Defrag because it is under my main drive. (like this: C:\example) It's rather annoying that it won't defrag it because while C is my main drive, the other one is way bigger and thus more defragged. It would be great if you could change it so it is seen by Smart Defrag.

Thanks!

Hi Thom747,

I am sorry, but I could not understand what you mean by C:\example as a secondary bigger drive!!!

Could you elaborate, and will you write down the structure and hardware & connection (mainboard, USB, etc.) types please.

Cheers.

I meant that I have a second disk, which path is not for example C: or D: but its path is C:\example. Because it is seen as a folder under my C: drive by Smart Defrag, it thinks it is an undefragable folder, and it doesn't do anything with it.

My suggestion is that maybe you could make Smart Defrag recognize disks even when these are "under" a other drive. (I'm not sure how this is called in english but i think it is called a "coupled volume")

I hope you understand now.

bye, Thom

Hi Thom

I still find it difficult to understand.

Do you have a harddisk that you have placed as a folder in your C: drive?

Why not in a partition? Or as a harddisk in it's own right?

What are your settings? Have you excluded files from defragment if they exceed 1 GB?

Cheers

solbjerg

I meant that I have a second disk, which path is not for example C: or D: but its path is C:\example. Because it is seen as a folder under my C: drive by Smart Defrag, it thinks it is an undefragable folder, and it doesn't do anything with it.

My suggestion is that maybe you could make Smart Defrag recognize disks even when these are "under" a other drive. (I'm not sure how this is called in english but i think it is called a "coupled volume")

I hope you understand now.

bye, Thom

Hi Solbjerg,

i installed that harddisk on Thom's computer.

If you look in Windows under System Management / Harddisk Management, you have the option to assign drive letters to partitions, but you also have the option to assign the partition as a folder in the exisiting drive hierarchy like so:

C:\

C:\Blabla

C:\Example

C:\Program Files

C:\WINDOWS

this way, the new drive does not occupy a drive letter (which are sometimes short, since you use them for network drives and removable media as well)

Another advantage is, that if you are using software that expects all software on C: this works too (yes, especially in games that kind of software still exists).

Modern Partitioning and Disk maintenance programs understand this way of coupling volumes, hence Thom's suggestion.

Hope this helps...:razz:

Kind Regards,

Ruben van der Steenhoven.

Hi Ruben

Thanks for clarifying!

This question is more for IObit technicians (hopefully they will read about your problem here), but in the meantime why not assign a drive letter to that partition, in order for it to be recognized and defragged? Perhaps call it Y:\ (why :-) or X:\ extra) perhaps even 0 (zero).

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg,

i installed that harddisk on Thom's computer.

If you look in Windows under System Management / Harddisk Management, you have the option to assign drive letters to partitions, but you also have the option to assign the partition as a folder in the exisiting drive hierarchy like so:

C:\

C:\Blabla

C:\Example

C:\Program Files

C:\WINDOWS

this way, the new drive does not occupy a drive letter (which are sometimes short, since you use them for network drives and removable media as well)

Another advantage is, that if you are using software that expects all software on C: this works too (yes, especially in games that kind of software still exists).

Modern Partitioning and Disk maintenance programs understand this way of coupling volumes, hence Thom's suggestion.

Hope this helps...:razz:

Kind Regards,

Ruben van der Steenhoven.

Thanks for your reply.

As a intermediate solution that will work, but obviously it means relocating the drive, doing the defrag, and then re-relocating it, because there software installed on that volume.

I hope the techies will manage to come up with a nicer solution in the future.

Thanks again, bye!

Archived