IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

DiskTrix DefragExpress Released

warpete

I admit that I am a very, very sick person! I like to watch my System defragmenting and have tried every defrag program known to Man. I tri-boot into Windows XP Pro/SP3 (default), Vista Ultimate 64 Bit or Windows 7 64 Bit. Being a System's Builder for many, many years--I am extremely aware of Tweaks, Optimizations etc., etc., etc that a person can perform to attempt to speed up his/her System------AND the severe consequences that such actions can have. PAID programs of all types are not necessarily better than their free version counterparts and in many cases---worse. A System critical application such as a defragmenting program is the single, most effective method of speeding up your System and extending the life of your HDD. I downloaded and installed the brand new "DefragExpress" by Disktrix (the makers of Ultimate Defrag). The trial version lasts 7 days and then you will need to purchase the Program. A very long story made short-----I have found that Smart Defrag performed much better than "Defrag Express". They basically do the same things such as: "Defrag only" or "Defrag and Optimize" and both will allow you to shut down your System when complete (although that didn't work for me with DefragExpress) and create a schedual. Go ahead and give it a try yourselves, but don't open your wallets until you have tested "DefragExpress" and "Smart Defrag" side by side. The speed of Smart Defrag was just as fast (if not faster) than DefragExpress (on my System) and DefragExpress did NOT efficiently clean up my fragments. Maybe Disktrix needs to tweak the program a bit, but I can't see anyone who knows about Smart Defrag--paying for DefragExpress. It's a shame, but when DefragExpress was finished defragging, I had MORE fragments than when it started. Smart Defrag was able to clean them up easily. I hate to put down a new program, but I was shocked by DefragExpress---and my System is no different than anyone else's. I hope others have more success with it but I know that I will stick with Smart Defrag. It's just too effective and easy to mess with!

Great Testimony But.........

HI Pete-Funny thing,I downloaded and used it this morning.I started with SD and ran a three phase defrag.Meaning Defrag>Defrag/Fast Optimize>Defrag/Deep Optimize.Though SD reported 0% fragmentation upon conclusion,my contiguous or frequently used files were strewn around in three or so groups(something that never happened with v.1.03)I've just reinstalled my OS and have only 7GB of data to work with,so this should be an easy task for any decent utility.Enter the new kid from DiskTrix-took two runs experimenting with high performance,but got to a full 100% optimization level.Went back to run an analyze pass with SD, and all frequently used files were shown contiguous in one straight line across the top of the GUI.I opened Firefox with two tabs in less than two seconds to a fully loaded page including flash content.(cache or not,this was faster than usual)Menu's are opening faster and third party software is snapping to attention. Needless to say,I'm more than a little impressed with my results.Is it for everyone? Can't say-have to try it yourself.Like yourself,I've used just about every defragger available,free and paid,and to date none have outperformed this one.I think I'll part with the twelve bucks if my PC's still running this fast a few weeks from now.Update-Performed the same operation on my daughter's four year old HP,and went from a dismal 68% to 92% optimization.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trialling DefragExpress and find it does quicken my machine. I had been using Smart Defrag in "Defrag only" mode every day, while also using Disktrix Ultimate free for more in-depth optimization.

Now that I have an idea of what DefragExpress can do -- I'm going to keep trialling it until the free use time expires -- I will see if Smart Defrag can do a better job of optimizing than DFExpress. I did try SmartDefrag in deep optimize mode a few times, but as I understand it, WinXP needs 3 days to reset the MFT, so just repeating defrags won't yield too much improvement.

In any case, Smart Defrag seems quite good when I've used it in optimize mode, but DefragExpress seems a bit quicker. ... Need to test a bit more to get a better conclusion.

Sam

|||

• 2 weeks later...

It's official: Distrix is better

I just finished a 14-day trial of Distrix DefragExpress and clearly it's file placement algorithm is superior to that of IObit's Smart Defrag.

I ran DefragExpress every day for those 14 days (skipping two consecutive days to allow for the Layout.ini to re-set itself), and then I ran Smart Defrag, first at defrag only, then at Fast Optimize, then at Deep Optimize. I did this for 3 days, and the conclusion I have found is that DefragExpress does a significantly better job of placing most frequently used files where they will be accessed most quickly.

Loading Thunderbird and Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, as well as my other frequently used Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, ... all of these loaded noticeably faster with DefragExpress.

SmartDefrag is not a bad little freebie, but it's not in the same league as DefragExpress, from my observations.

Sam

|||

Dfe

Hi Sam-Thanks for the feed back.If this helps any,after I purchased DFE for my PC,I tried entering the validation code into my daughter's PC and worked!I got two for $11.99. Normally, I look for freebies,but for twelve bucks,this was worth paying for.Try it in safe mode-works great!

Archived