IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Losing Hard Drive Space After Use

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum having only been a user of smart defrag for a couple of weeks.

When I first used the program after analysis I was advised to use fast optimiser. After doing so my free hard drive space dropped by almost 30 Gb !

I ran a second optimise after i couldn't recover the space by other means and fortunately regained about 46 Gb of space.

Content with that I have left the program running in the background, doing what it is supposed to do.

This morning my hard drive space seemed to be decreasing disproportionately to what I had been downloading so I ran fast optimise again.

This time I lost 9 Gb without having downloaded any further material in the meantime. A second run resulted in further loss of hard drive space (about 4 Gb). :sad:

Can anyone advise as to why this may be occurring? :?:

Thanks

** I am running Vista Home premium on a HP laptop with 240 Gb hard drive (partitioned) **

Hi oldshepp

This sounds unusual.

Would you please give some information as to your disk - partitions size and how much free space on each partition.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum having only been a user of smart defrag for a couple of weeks.

When I first used the program after analysis I was advised to use fast optimiser. After doing so my free hard drive space dropped by almost 30 Gb !

I ran a second optimise after i couldn't recover the space by other means and fortunately regained about 46 Gb of space.

Content with that I have left the program running in the background, doing what it is supposed to do.

This morning my hard drive space seemed to be decreasing disproportionately to what I had been downloading so I ran fast optimise again.

This time I lost 9 Gb without having downloaded any further material in the meantime. A second run resulted in further loss of hard drive space (about 4 Gb). :sad:

Can anyone advise as to why this may be occurring? :?:

Thanks

** I am running Vista Home premium on a HP laptop with 240 Gb hard drive (partitioned) **

Sure solbjerg

It is a Fujitsu 250 Gb laptop drive

Partitioned when Vista automatically set up into 240 Gb and 10 Gb (Recovery)

The most noticeable loss of data was when I had about 76 Gb of Hard Drive Space ran Fast Optimise for the very first time and it dropped down to 45 Gb. I ran scan disk just to make sure it wasn't a false reading but scan disk confirmed the size of free space.

When I ran optimizer again it took approx. 1 1/2 hrs (I assume that's normal time) and my space increased to 91 Gb.

Today it was 76 Gb and I know there wasn't 15 Gb extra sitting on my drive so I ran Fast Optimise - it then came back 67 Gb.

A little peeved but not worried I ran it again. This time it dropped to 61 Gb.

I then started this topic.

I also ran Windows defragger for the first time because I was worried. After it was complete my drive was showing 100 Gb free.

Pretty strange eh?

Ok oldshepp

You do not seem to be lacking free space.

But it does sound like you haven't run defragging prior to SmartDefrag very often.

If that is the case my recommandation for running SmartDefrag is to first Analyze and then do an "Only Defrag", - after that try a "Fast Optimize" and finally a "Deep Optimize" which can take some time.

The recommandation is nearly always "Fast Optimize" after an Analyze, but in my opinion it is not always the best course.

I never had any problems with it but some users have - mostly I think because of to little free space or very fragmented disks. Additionally some have had problems because of very large picture files or video files.

But your last remark about Windows defragging, seems to have solved the problem with losing space?

Please read the thread Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section.

Cheers

solbjerg

Sure solbjerg

It is a Fujitsu 250 Gb laptop drive

Partitioned when Vista automatically set up into 240 Gb and 10 Gb (Recovery)

The most noticeable loss of data was when I had about 76 Gb of Hard Drive Space ran Fast Optimise for the very first time and it dropped down to 45 Gb. I ran scan disk just to make sure it wasn't a false reading but scan disk confirmed the size of free space.

When I ran optimizer again it took approx. 1 1/2 hrs (I assume that's normal time) and my space increased to 91 Gb.

Today it was 76 Gb and I know there wasn't 15 Gb extra sitting on my drive so I ran Fast Optimise - it then came back 67 Gb.

A little peeved but not worried I ran it again. This time it dropped to 61 Gb.

I then started this topic.

I also ran Windows defragger for the first time because I was worried. After it was complete my drive was showing 100 Gb free.

Pretty strange eh?

Will do.

Your assessment is spot on. That's exactly what I did.

Analyse then went for Fast Optimisation when it was recommended.

I guess I should have read up on the product a bit more first !

Thanks for your help.

Hi oldshepp

Thank you very much for your feedback

Let's hear how it goes a bit later please!

Cheers

solbjerg

Will do.

Your assessment is spot on. That's exactly what I did.

Analyse then went for Fast Optimisation when it was recommended.

I guess I should have read up on the product a bit more first !

Thanks for your help.

Archived