IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry Clean Up

Tom McLernon

Basically I bought ASC as an automated registry cleaner.  There are all sorts of "Trial" softwares out there, but when you need to uninstall them they leave all sorts on registry entries, files and folders on your system.  I purchased a very good tool for manually searching the registry and manually removing these.   But that is a very tedious process.  I used this program to check ASC registry cleaner:  To basically see what a program leaves behind after an uninstall, and then run ASC and check again afterwards to see what is still there.  ASC makes a reasonable effort, without being too aggressive, and removing stuff it shouldn't.  In general it enables you to keep most of the unnecessary bloat within reasonable bounds.  

• 2 weeks later...

When I first bought ASC in 2006, I bought it as a utility/cleaner replacement for iolo System Mechanic, and I was impressed with ASC.  System Mechanic was a great product except for one "little" problem.  Every now and then, it would screw up the registry, and I would have to "revert" back to the prior restoration-point (at least it had "that" option).  However, I have "never" had any problems in 16 years with ASC messing up registries/registry files, ...seems to be one of the strong points of ASC.  I agree with you, "makes a reasonable effort, without being too aggressive, and removing stuff it shouldn't".  I know many people who use ASC just because of how well it treats the registry.

I know there is an ongoing controversy concerning cleaning or maintenancing registry.  I do agree with the experts in that it is not something that needs to be done all the time, ...and where we actually "needed" to fix or clean it in the old days (when Windows really sucked), it's not so necessary to run these days. Yet, ...it still needs to be maintained occasionally.  I really couldn't even imagine never maintaining registry at all ever during the lifetime of a computer (like so many of these so-called experts tell us constantly).