IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why is License limited to one year?

Why is the license limited to only one year?

I almost bought ASC, and then I saw that I'd only own it for one year. This limited ownership model is not good for users since they are forced to pay again and again, even if a program hasn't changed much.

A much better model for the customer (and thus for you too) would be to own a major version indefinitely. Some if I bought version 3, I could keep it forever. But if version 4 came out, I would need to pay an upgrade price (which should be less than the full new price). Customer would not pay for minor updates (3.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.5 etc.). Of course, I you frivolously "rename" an only slightly modified version to a new version number, that would piss off people too.

Until you change the license model, I will not buy ASC.

Thanks for your time.

I prefer the present markinging model, Peter. Here's why.

Yes, they get $20 a year. I figure they would need maybe $50, if they did the 1-time ownership charge thing, and then there wouldn't necessarily be any motive for them to maintain quality updates on a REGULAR basis. Remember, to keep getting your $20, they have to keep improving the product and keeping it good quality, or else, no reason to upgrade. Same thing with the major upgrade charging, I guess. Actually, I don't see much difference in the yearly vs. the major-version-update-charge, which you suggested they use.

Also, I think most software these days (if they charge you for it at all), in the anti-malware, anti-virus, or optimization areas, are moving toward charging yearly now. There are just too many things that are changing all the time with virus o/s and software updates, etc., and too many updates/fixes are needed.

I guess we both don't prefer being charged in the same way. Well, I guess that's why they have menus in restaurants, right?

:-)

CT

I prefer the present markinging model, Peter. Here's why.

[...] they would need maybe $50, if they did the 1-time ownership charge thing, and then there wouldn't necessarily be any motive for them to maintain quality updates on a REGULAR basis.

So you're saying that the updates are not good enough that people would voluntarily buy the newer versions?

Remember, to keep getting your $20, they have to keep improving the product and keeping it good quality, or else, no reason to upgrade.

Exactly. Why should I pay for something multiple times if it stays the same?

Also, consider that with an ownership model more people are likely to buy the product in the first place. So you end up with more people paying the (albeit lower) update fees. There are numerous examples that demonstrate that this model is more profitable in the long run (see Apple's iStore).

I guess I prefer to be an owner instead of a renter.

I guess we both don't prefer being charged in the same way. Well, I guess that's why they have menus in restaurants, right?

I don't see my preferred "meal" on this "menu".

So you're saying that the updates are not good enough that people would voluntarily buy the newer versions?

I don't know from first hand experience. I've only had the program a month. From what others here have written, it seems like most everyone is pretty happy with the way they fix and update it.

Exactly. Why should I pay for something multiple times if it stays the same?

Good point, but I don't think it does stay the same. Seems like it gets updated pretty often from what I've read.

Other than that, length of use would be the answer to your question. Like apartment rental, or tux rental. How about video rental that only runs a certain amount of time? Do you get your internet on a monthly basis? Is it different every month or does it "stay the same?" Cell phone? How does it change every month? At least ASC isn't like cell phones, where you have to buy the damn thing and pay a fee for usage, too. LOL (Assuming you don't sign a contract.) Oh yeah. And it good ASC has no contract, either. ROF,L. j/k there.

Question our of curiosity, Peter. What is the maximum you would be willing to pay for an owned version that had additional charges for major new releases?

Also, consider that with an ownership model more people are likely to buy the product in the first place. So you end up with more people paying the (albeit lower) update fees. There are numerous examples that demonstrate that this model is more profitable in the long run (see Apple's iStore).

Oh. I didn't know that. Perhaps it is a marketing mistake on IObit's part then.

I don't see my preferred "meal" on this "menu".

I can't argue with you there.

I wonder if, with software, any one has ever tried the marketing model like movies have -- where you can buy them or rent them. i.e. Have both a yearly annual fee, and optionally a buy outright price, too.

Well, so far, to me at least, the IObit folks have seemed like good people who really listen to their customer base and potential customer base; so maybe they will take note of your sentiments, Peter.

Thx in advance for answering my question about a price you would pay. I am really curious about that.

CT

Baskin Robbins has 31 Flavors

Aside from SuperAntiSpyware(lifetime availability),I'm hard pressed to recall any paid product that isn't renewed yearly.I recall a couple of security programs with a purchase option of three years,but that's about it.But what do I know,an old guy with Sometimer's disease. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-12.png

... an old guy with Sometimer's disease. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-12.png

Did you see the new Star Trek episode? Captain Kirk finds a bunch of things called "tribbles" that are all over the ship.

http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/troublewithtribbles.jpg

What is the maximum you would be willing to pay for an owned version that had additional charges for major new releases?

That heavily depends on the usefulness of the software to the individual. For me, a utility that cleans up the registry, defrags, etc. is not something I use very often or where I've even seen huge performance improvements from its use (even though I have a fairly old Windows XP installation and I frequently install and uninstall software). So, I would be willing to pay about 20 € for a full unlimited version. I'd also be willing to pay about 10 € for major version updates (e.g., 1.x to 2.x).

BTW: Consider that Microsoft Windows Vista Business costs "only" about 110 €, I own it forever, and it has more than six times the usefulness for me! ;-)

It's hard making money from utility software.

Okee dokey, Peter. If I may be so bold, then we're really talking about pricing, and your feeling it is too expensive -- at least that's part of it. All-righty-roo.

I think I've made a good investment in ASC and I'm very, very, very happy. I won't be using their refund policy. (I think they have one, or maybe that was another piece of software at which I recently was looking.)

Good luck to `ya mate!!

CT

I had the free version for quite a while. After beta testing the Pro version I found that it was a big improvement, so much so that I gladly paid the $20. ASC is easily worth that. Compare that price to what you get from other commercial security suites. Besides, I like the people at this company. You can talk to them. They listen. I will gladly pay for my next year's renewal.

Archived