IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag finishes but then still needs defrag

I just installed Smart Defrag 1.2. I ran fast defrag and then I analyzed the disk and it still recommended that I defrag. Then I decided to run the Deep Optimize to see if that changed anything and I got the same recommendation to defrag. I double checked in Windows Defrag and it also said my drive needed to be defragged. Is it just not working?

Hi Yankee

A screenshot would help understanding.

How many fragments does it say it has after the first defrag and after the next Analyze?

If it shows no fragment, but just have the legend in the bottom of the window that it recommends a Fast defrag - then no worries - there are no fragments to defrag.

If there are fragments, then remember that applications in use during defrag will not be defragged. This means that to get the optimal defrag you should close down other applications while running the defrag.

Please read enoskypes thread Thinking about defragmentation

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=612

and while you are at it ;-)

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11683#post11683

Cheers

solbjerg

I just installed Smart Defrag 1.2. I ran fast defrag and then I analyzed the disk and it still recommended that I defrag. Then I decided to run the Deep Optimize to see if that changed anything and I got the same recommendation to defrag. I double checked in Windows Defrag and it also said my drive needed to be defragged. Is it just not working?

I ran the defrag a few hours ago. I just now analyzed the same drive and it says "suggestion Defrag Only" It also says Fragmented files 7538 and Fragmentation Before 70.87%. Windows defragmenter says that the drive needs to be defragged. If Smart Defrag is really working then why is not only windows defrag reporting my drive to be fragmented, but the program itself as well?

Hi Yankee

You only have 13% free space, so the defragmenting cannot work,- doesn't the Windows defragmenter tell you that too?

Usually for a defragment to run you have to have at least 15% free space.

Make some more free space on the drive in question - or buy an extra harddisk.

Apart from deleting unused programs there are several tweaks that can gain you some more space. Post back if you do not know them. :-)

Be prepared for the defragmentation to take a very long time, as it is very fragmented (have you never defragged before?) and I advice you to do a "Defrag Only" first.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Additionally I think it would be a good idea to run chkdsk /r

It will restart your computer and run a full checkdisk (scandisk)

I ran the defrag a few hours ago. I just now analyzed the same drive and it says "suggestion Defrag Only" It also says Fragmented files 7538 and Fragmentation Before 70.87%. Windows defragmenter says that the drive needs to be defragged. If Smart Defrag is really working then why is not only windows defrag reporting my drive to be fragmented, but the program itself as well?

Hi yankee

If you have restated the computer and run a chkdsk, - it could possibly be if you have very large pictures or videoes on your computer.

Do you use the option for max file size? If you do - try unticking it.

Do you know the answer to Maxx's question?

Cheers

solbjerg

Now I have 38% free and its still reporting not enough free space when I try to defrag.

Hi yankee

If you have restated the computer and run a chkdsk, - it could possibly be if you have very large pictures or videoes on your computer.

Do you use the option for max file size? If you do - try unticking it.

Do you know the answer to Maxx's question?

Cheers

solbjerg

I did restart and run chkdsk then I ran defrag again and it only took 1 mins and it still gave me the not enough space in the report. I have 40% free space in the drive so I dont understand this. Those large fragments were some logs and I deleted them. The largest fragmented file has 4,000 fragments and theres only a handfull that have over 1,000.

Hi Yankee

Perhaps it is reacting to some log file you have in it's folder now.

If so An absolutely clean Install could take care of that I think.

How does the Windows defragmenter react now?

Cheers

solbjerg

I did restart and run chkdsk then I ran defrag again and it only took 1 mins and it still gave me the not enough space in the report. I have 40% free space in the drive so I dont understand this. Those large fragments were some logs and I deleted them. The largest fragmented file has 4,000 fragments and theres only a handfull that have over 1,000.

Archived