IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Need Advice on Some System Optimization Settings

M8trix

The following circled registry key's on the attached images are what I want to go ahead with and set in ASC but I have some questions about them. I already looked up what they were for and what they do but I have some more questions I couldn't find answers to, that someone here might be able to explain.

First, I would like to ask if the recommended values it shows are the same for everyone or does the program base them off of values chosen based on the specific computer?

Now, about the registry key's. In the first image I circled EnableAutoLayout. Apparently I heard turning it on helps with the optimization of the HDD when it is idle. Is this a good thing to turn on or is it going to cause me problems?

In the second image the first two confused me. AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads (boy is that a mouthful) has to do with the system threads Windows uses and it says the current value is 0 :shock: and the recommended is 4 :-? Is it normal to be on 0 like that, and should I be changing it?

Win32PrioritySeperation, this one really confused me because the info I found on this said it can only be set to 1 or 2, yet it's recommending 38 which sounds crazy. Here's the info I found on it:

CPU Task Priorities – This one will change the priority of handling foreground vs background processes. Normally, on systems with not many background processes, it shows significant performance gains.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl and set the Win32PrioritySeparation to 2 or 1. A value of 2 will give higher priority to foreground tasks than background tasks and a value of 1 will give maximum priority to foreground processes. If your system runs MySQL, Apache or other background application, set the value to 2, else use 1 for maximum performance gains. As usual, you will have to reboot your system to notice any difference.

I have Windows XP Home Edition with a 2.40GHz Pentium 4 processor

I'm trying to get my computer up to speed so any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: I found out what I needed to know for the last six on the second image so just ignore those.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry

Enable Auto Layout = yes -All four of the service and task timeouts= yes desktop process= not sure on both -win32 priority=yes critical worker = not sure.You can try Google for the unknowns,and I would perform those fixes one or two at a time-makes it easier to keep track if one is bad for your system.

Archived