IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions or tips for how to use Smart Defrag?

I'm not really looking for help on how the program works, but rather on how best to use it -- especially if I'm considering changing something from the default settings.

Just for some background, I'm running Windows XP, I have a 300GB C: drive (about 50% full) and a 1TB D: drive (about 33% full).

By default, the "Enable Auto Defrag" dropdown is set to "Auto defrag system volume." Any reason I should or shouldn't set it to "Auto defrag all volumes?"

Also, my gut instinct is to turn off "Auto Defrag" altogether, simply because it just *feels* like it might be wasting resources, or causing possible conflicts by always "hanging around," waiting for a good time to start defragging. Is that thinking just totally wrong?

As for the Scheduled tasks, I seem to remember that the default setting was to defrag the C: once a week and the D: not at all. I quickly changed that, asking Smart Defrag to do both every day at 4:00 AM.

As for what "Action" the program should take every day at 4:00 AM, I left the dropdown set to the default of "Defrag Only." But that feels a little odd. Since I've currently set the program to "defrag" constantly (whenever I'm idle), should I set the 4:00 AM job to "Fast Optimize" instead?

None of the things I'm saying are complaints, just requests for information -- "tips" on how to best use the program.

Does anyone have some tips, or answers to some of my questions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guy

I feel like you and consequently doesn't use AutoDefrag except for testing purposes, even though it does not use an enormous amount of resources.

Likewise I only use Shedule for testing purposes, but if I should choose between the two I would choose Sheduling.

A shedule of defrag twice a week would suffice for most - even heavely users I think.

Often it is tracking cookies that slows the computer down I feel, so a cleaning an hour or so before the defrag sheduling would be ok I think.

But you must decide as it is you that are in contact with your computer and can decide what works best for you.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm not really looking for help on how the program works, but rather on how best to use it -- especially if I'm considering changing something from the default settings.

Just for some background, I'm running Windows XP, I have a 300GB C: drive (about 50% full) and a 1TB D: drive (about 33% full).

By default, the "Enable Auto Defrag" dropdown is set to "Auto defrag system volume." Any reason I should or shouldn't set it to "Auto defrag all volumes?"

Also, my gut instinct is to turn off "Auto Defrag" altogether, simply because it just *feels* like it might be wasting resources, or causing possible conflicts by always "hanging around," waiting for a good time to start defragging. Is that thinking just totally wrong?

As for the Scheduled tasks, I seem to remember that the default setting was to defrag the C: once a week and the D: not at all. I quickly changed that, asking Smart Defrag to do both every day at 4:00 AM.

As for what "Action" the program should take every day at 4:00 AM, I left the dropdown set to the default of "Defrag Only." But that feels a little odd. Since I've currently set the program to "defrag" constantly (whenever I'm idle), should I set the 4:00 AM job to "Fast Optimize" instead?

None of the things I'm saying are complaints, just requests for information -- "tips" on how to best use the program.

Does anyone have some tips, or answers to some of my questions?

Thanks in advance.

Archived