IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart defrag & SETI?

I installed Smart defrag about 10 days ago, and must say the defrag works far better than previous defrag programs I have tried. (They always left a few bits) However, I notice that the Auto defrag does not seem to work. It occurs to me that it may be because I am running SETI@home and of course there is always above 20% usage. Do you know if unticking the 20% usage item will allow it to work at anytime and override the SETI program. Will try it myself during the coming week but wondered if anyone else had similar problems with other distributed computing setups.

Hi sarkie

The slide can be utilized too, but I tested it by setting the idle time to 1 minute (in order to not wait too long) :-) and clicking away the % usage.

It used about 15 minutes to do the job, most of the time it used about 2% of the CPU but there were a few peaks where it reached 100% for a few seconds.

Cheers

solbjerg

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1998&d=1255166801

I installed Smart defrag about 10 days ago, and must say the defrag works far better than previous defrag programs I have tried. (They always left a few bits) However, I notice that the Auto defrag does not seem to work. It occurs to me that it may be because I am running SETI@home and of course there is always above 20% usage. Do you know if unticking the 20% usage item will allow it to work at anytime and override the SETI program. Will try it myself during the coming week but wondered if anyone else had similar problems with other distributed computing setups.

Smart defrag & SETI

Hi solbjerg,

Understand what you are saying, but it never ran at all over past ten days, and I wonder if it was due to the SETI@home program which runs whenever nothing else is using the CPU thus giving the impression the machine is always busy, in fact the CPU is running at near 100% most of the time due to the SETI program. (Have good cooling!!!)

I have unticked the usage (20%) option and will see what happens, and will let you know how I get on.

Hi sarkie

You mean you are involved in the search for extra terrestial intelligence?

(gave up trying to find it here?) :-)

Well in that case - with 100% CPU usage there won't be much room for much else I suppose.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Understand what you are saying, but it never ran at all over past ten days, and I wonder if it was due to the SETI@home program which runs whenever nothing else is using the CPU thus giving the impression the machine is always busy, in fact the CPU is running at near 100% most of the time due to the SETI program. (Have good cooling!!!)

I have unticked the usage (20%) option and will see what happens, and will let you know how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After extensive research I have found that running volunteer or grid computing type programs such as Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) stops Auto Defrag from working. The problem is that Auto defrag won’t run if the resource usage is over say 20% (default). Of course with the BOINC type of program (such as SETI@home), running in the background and using any spare resources the usage is never below 20% and is generally up around the 100% mark.

Similarly I run another type of program for private investing. It’s from Updata and called Trader Pro. This has a live stockmarket feed giving equity prices and news items. This program too runs constantly and is rarely idle for the necessary 5 minutes. The unfortunate thing about this, is that this program due to its very nature of constant file updating has the most fragmented files which is why I was particularly interested in Auto defrag. On top of this with the constant stream of data coming in McAfee Virus scan is working overtime and often runs over 60% resources on its own.

For the Stockmarket program I can see that I will have to change my procedures and after shutting it down leave a few minutes for the Auto defrag to work. Similarly, I will have to make sure the BOINC program is closed also. I tried disabling the resource setting (unticking the box) but that did not help.

There again, obviously defrag works better if heavy usage programs are closed down.

Been an interesting week experimenting. The defrag works great by the way, and am very pleased with it.

Archived