IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Before I back up!!!

garybear

Things I do before I create a back up image of my C drive with Macrium Reflect. I scan my C: drive with all my Malware programs. I have four of them, don't want to back up any damn Malware ,Spyware etc . I run all my cleaners, have four of them. I run Smart Defrag. Do a disk cleanup. If I haven't done a dskcheck or SFC \scannow in a while, I'll do them. I empty event viewer. If I have a whole bunch of system restore points, I get rid of all but the most recent. Delete all logs and back ups from programs , like ASC3, AVG, Malwarebytes,ect. Don't need to back up a bunch of crap I don't need. I only do all this when I'm sure my PC is running with no problems. If I've made a bunch of changes,I check out every thing and see if its all alright. I usually have several back ups already on my segate drive that I can choose from. One of them will work like I want it to. I really don't know if all this is necessary and I don't know what all Macrium copy's for sure. I just know it's a hell of a program that I never want to be without. If I think of any thing else I do before backing up, I'll edit this thread. Comments are always welcome on my threads. Live well my friends. {garybear} PS some day I'll be as smart as the pros on this forum(lol I wish;never happen, but I keep trying) Hey Maxx check your PM's

Hi garybear, another very good thread my friend.

You are doing great.8-)

Although it is a bit old now, I have explained what do I do in the first post of Think About Defragmentation!!! thread.

BTW, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am still waiting your reply for this post.

Thanks and cheers.:grin:

garybear- Having only done one Image Restore with the amazing Macrium Reflect from what I can tell it makes an exact snapshot of the drive being backed up that is completely accurate down to the very smallest detail including each and every minute user selectable setting in each program.

I followed the same advise as you have given here of doing a complete cleanup of the files on the hard drive. I even cleaned and defragmented the Registry by removing about 10 MB of bloat before doing a snapshot just like I wanted to look my best for the passport photo that I had taken recently.

Currently I have 2 different backup Images one that includes an Antivirus and another experimental configuration that Reflect has emboldened me to use which relies on browser virtualization and a Hostbased Intrusion Prevention System from a program that recently placed #1 with a 100% score on the Matousec Proactive Security Challenge. I also have 6 on demand scanners including IObit 360, Avast, Avira, MBAM, SAS and my favorite A Squared so we'll see how things go. The bottom line is that I have 2 different types of Macrium Reflect Images that I can Recover with so I have nothing to loose and much to gain by not having to run 20 year old technology in the form of a cumbersome default allow blacklist Avtivirus in a modern environment where 30k -40k new pieces of Malware code are released every day onto the internet.

~Maxx~

PS- For those who run Vista a top rated HIPS program can not only eliminate the need for the annoying and redundant UAC, but do a much better job of immediately detecting and alerting you to any program or Malware that moves in the computer without your approval and most importantly remembers your decision!

Hi garybear, another very good thread my friend.

You are doing great.8-)

Although it is a bit old now, I have explained what do I do in the first post of Think About Defragmentation!!! thread.

BTW, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am still waiting your reply for this post.

Thanks and cheers.:grin:

Hi enoskype. Sorry my friend . I'll get right on that. There is so much going on in the forum now days, I have a hard time keeping up. I thought I was checking that thread but I guess I didn't.Please for give me for being late. I really appreciate all you have done for me.Live well my friend. {garybear}

Archived