IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Warning if using W.7 upgade disc

sunny staines

have come across problems with people using upgrade w7 discs.

it seems using the upgrade disc no longer asks for previous O/S disc as so many shop built pc's do not have one so its been withdrawn.

I have also come across the two install as mention will not apply as it has to be an "activated" o/s to update over.

apparently it seems you choose a partition after boot from disc to install and once chosen you choose to "install" where it updates or "custom" where the clean install starts and you are given the chance to format "C" and install clean at the end goto disk cleanup and run to clear the vista debris.

a major flaw seems to be, if I upgrade as w7 wants it will go ok. But if down the road a later date i need to do a reinstall i will need to put a basic copy of vista on first then w7 but i will not be able to activate vista as w7 kills the key during the original update. if you have no backup clone you in the mire.

[gary bears macrium will be needed]

have come across problems with people using upgrade w7 discs.

it seems using the upgrade disc no longer asks for previous O/S disc as so many shop built pc's do not have one so its been withdrawn.

I have also come across the two install as mention will not apply as it has to be an "activated" o/s to update over.

Well sunny i read this -keeping this in mind--abd did a plane install not update ---

now something i did not expect--------

baring in mind we are only taking + os WIN 7+

yesterday my version brand NEW out of the box arrived--

OK --the official public release----

So decided to install it on the spare drive first --where my image file was as well from the c:> drives OS ---

Well- not to smart!

i wanted to see how it felt, ran ,compared to the ones i have--

on the same PC--compare-the 2 --

not a problem --to keep this short-we get a DUEL system windows 7

and every thing is running as it should----

I kept on thinking -Macrium --shame it will not run on this os as yet---

any how ran a Winn back up ,restore point, and so on -installed a few apps

having a good time,

backed this up, nicely-- lovely,i was thinking---verified,we are all go .update ,over the net--

perfect-came here ,lookie there .few tests .perfect!

now lets see how the full image restore will go

.started this--format the c:>

and of it went-- lovely i kept thinking .full of joy and contentment--

absolutely, a wonderful OS -gee i love it---..in the back of my mind thinking of Gary bear---to let him know win can do this as well--yet wished,that Macrium reflect would work on this OS --

any how half way in--it stopped! -Uhhh , well, what happened, ?

just sat there ,then up pops a window,"windows can not use the back up image you selected! "--well sat there like a stunned carp!

what you talking about! i said allowed .

please reboot!

so no other option ,reboot -ok now a black screen is a nice sight!

when it tells "you no operating boot up-"

casting the my head, about.walking away made a cup of tea-still looking at the pretty black screen--then started to think ,why,what did i do wrong here i wonder? drank a few more cups-try a reboot hoping but i knew i muck up something--

kept thing of garybear! then the penny dropped --took a while !

yes!, must be, -you cant have a image back up on the drive than install a OS to it!

it in turn backs up on the other drive-where the other OS resides--plus the boot menu gets wiped as it formats ! and your image file with it ! duuu--

normally i do it on a data drive---

so there you are --perhaps worth posting ! sometimes a can kick myself !

do not do it this way-again,-ya silly old sock! i kept thinking--

i am not that hot at it -Gary- was the first to tell me about backing up properly! and started reading the posts made ,very intensively--storing this data to my how to directory -- any way -i have to redo this pc now!

never mind--

any one els had similar? happen ?

itsmejjj

well members i have tried something different using the same build -

i do not know if it will work -split the drive in 3 --installed the os

now where one sees the reserve drive of 100mg on this pc -the other one one its not shown -split in 3 -so what we will try to do ?? is use the vista driver version -it seems the system reserve is used by the d:.>drive--that's empty--

jonn going to help out--as i do not know to much about this--first of we will attempt

a normall install of macrame and see if we get it to run--step 1

next do a image to the spare drive 3--- should be ok--than attempt a boot cd disk-------if this fails -load up a vista os--on drive d:\ duel boot -

do the above --than try a image of the c: and d: if this works.if successful

make a rescue disk --with vista--should work --

now the dinky-- part ---

stuff the c:. drive corrupt it so it can not - boot--that would be win7--

reboot bypass c:-,boot from d:> using f12 boot up menu --

we have our misgivings about this--

still its fun any how--

than attempt a restoration of the drives-formatting the c/d drives--

from the cd rescue disk---that should replace the mater boot sequence--?

restore the partition -? then hopefully re image the drive

and restore --we do not think it may work but give it shout--

see what happens--

itsmejjj

itmejjj

what happens if you load W7 to drive or partition "C" use windows own backup computer "C" to drive or partition "D" then format "C" wiping W7.

Then reboot with W7 DVD and opt for restore backup from "D" to "C"

is that what you did and got a the black screen as in theory it should work.

if it works why will you need macrium?

still waiting my disc due to postal workers in pay disputes our post here in GB is disrupted [really bad of them to strike when we are all expecting our W7 disc's to arrive]

understanding your ask -installing 1 os no problem--on the c>

right-and use d> as your drive for the image--lose the c> for any reason

the boot disk will put every this back you imaged--to the c:from d:>

you cant use it if say you where to install a os on d:--

that's where i image you made resides---the new install changes the master boot in c: allowing the duel system if this is destroyed by a format--black death --but say its just corrupted the c:-or d: -the boot CD will fix it--so long as the first install

is intact --not formatted--and the image is on a other drive--one can as you know have 5 drives with different OS -on each--but the image you make

of all must be on a non OS system boot drive--

the reason we are trying out this back up soft ware -and get it working-

to use it on a live cd we made and making --trying- as if say the os or something distroys the drive rendering, it non see able by a os--

and need to repartition it

hope you can follow this!

itsmejjj

what happens if you load W7 to drive or partition "C" use windows own backup computer "C" to drive or partition "D" then format "C" wiping W7.

Then reboot with W7 DVD and opt for restore backup from "D" to "C"

not a problem so long as its the exact, same size and bytes as the installed format --when you first ran it--

if not your gone--

lets say you used a killing program to rid the OS folder--

and even the whole drives data--not a worry ----as its the exact same size--as the installed formatted it-no change--

now you format --and this can happen--

formatting may differ-sometimes its size,

reduced it size or extended -even by 1 mg ether way your shot--the image file showing a different size than the now formatted drive .the os7 will spit the dummy--yet the os will do this fore you its ok--so long as you did not do it your self--interfering with a manual format---

i think you will have not a problem -you know about systems --

enjoy -have all in place -her is a tip

do not pass word your account at install --just hit enter our use the mouse

when you validated you os -then go ahead --if you want to

why ?every thing will go faster -at the start --

do the updates after its all on the drive--

have fun --

let us know how its going--

yes -do let me know how it went--we got a way we think to get a round the Pe

problems ---not sure yet but jonn is at it--he is our programmer -and i the assistant-sometimes a pest--but jonn got a big hart--and always joking about

seems never flustered by me -we set up a unit just for him only, i nor family

inter fear with----

but yes i want to hear how you went --and feel about the w7

many thanks--

itsmejjj

Archived